Cura failing to connect infil to outer walls.

Posted · Cura failing to connect infil to outer walls.

image.thumb.png.9cbd9e54082aff65460fd6a76142cd66.pngimage.thumb.png.c00ecebc3b4dc69fbc3ce829db2d739d.png

Infil fails to connect to outer wall in certain zones resulting in a weak print. I don't know why this is happening.

The outer walls in the preview mode are red - unless you only have a single wall, the infill should only overlap the first (green) inner wall (which it is). The yellow area is skin (top/bottom), several layers of it are generated above or below parts of the model exposed to air (i.e. holes, or the bottom or top of the model). Usually skin has its own walls around it but in this case I'm guessing it's too close to the existing walls to generate it.

If the model file itself has errors, that could also cause skin to be generated where it shouldn't.

You can make it generate a wall against that skin area - and everywhere else, unfortunately - by setting Infill > Extra Infill Wall Count to 1. This will make it print a wall around the infill using the infill settings.

If you want a more extensive investigation, post your Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura get it set up then go to File > Save Project) and we can see if there's anything funny going on.

6 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

The outer walls in the preview mode are red - unless you only have a single wall, the infill should only overlap the first (green) inner wall (which it is). The yellow area is skin (top/bottom), several layers of it are generated above or below parts of the model exposed to air (i.e. holes, or the bottom or top of the model). Usually skin has its own walls around it but in this case I'm guessing it's too close to the existing walls to generate it.

If the model file itself has errors, that could also cause skin to be generated where it shouldn't.

You can make it generate a wall against that skin area - and everywhere else, unfortunately - by setting Infill > Extra Infill Wall Count to 1. This will make it print a wall around the infill using the infill settings.

If you want a more extensive investigation, post your Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura get it set up then go to File > Save Project) and we can see if there's anything funny going on.

Sorry the image doesn't have a good angle for ya, and also. Yes I meant the wall in general or inner wall. The infil is not connecting to the inner wall and there is no yellow skin making up that gap, what you are seeing is the bottom fill, there is a big gap and you will notice it starts connecting to the green inner wall towards the top. Unfortunately I ended up fixing this issue by setting the pattern to cubic instead of cubic subdivision and now I cant seem to replicate the issue. It may have been a fluke but I will report back, it caused a print failure though so it certainly happened. 😞

16 hours ago, Erosion139 said:

It may have been a fluke but I will report back, it caused a print failure though so it certainly happened. 😞

Don't worry, we believe you. Cura can mess up slicing in many different ways for many different reasons. The calculations for the cubic subdivision infill are more complicated than regular so it's possible that it gets a bit mixed up at points.

Obviously I can't see more than a fraction of your model but if the rest of the model is anything like that bit subdivision wouldn't help anyway, it just identifies large internal cavities and prints less dense in there, but it shouldn't (in theory) make a difference in narrower bits.