Problems with slicing STI files from blender

Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted (edited) · Problems with slicing STI files from blender

For context, I'm printing out a mask (specifically the helmet for ichigo from the movie "Shin Kamen Rider". I own an ender 3 and I bought the models off of etsy (the model maker's name goes by RAProduct 3D). All of the files I bought from him go perfectly well when sliced into Cura. However, the helmet for Ichigo couldn't slice due to it being too big to print. 

So I decided to slap the file onto Blender and cut the model in half. When I exported it back into Cura, it was able to slice. But not without problem.

For some reason, the top of the model couldn't really slice and its, as a result, just left blank, compared to the model that's completely red.

I thought "maybe I'll have to probably have to slip the helmet into fours instead of halves now" and so I did. 

But the problem with the top not being able to slice still persisted. 

For a visual example of what I'm talking about, here's the image below. 

And I don't think this problem has to do with the model itself, it has to do with blender and STI files. 

So anyone who knows how to fix this, that would be great.

thanks!

also p.s. I am not really that familiar with blender, so if you're gonna talk to me about how to resolve issues relating to blender, give me literally every step you can give me. 

image_2024-05-26_222925820.png

Edited by Solsistheprinter

• Solution
    Posted · Problems with slicing STI files from blender

Blender isn't great at producing STL files because it's not really designed for editing files saved the way STL files get saved (although there are worse).

Unfortunately a lot of tools designed for working with STL files (like MeshLab or Meshmixer) have a bit of a learning curve.

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's "3D Builder" app is actually pretty good for editing STLs and can easily split an object so you can save it as separate parts (it's included in Windows 10 but I think you have to download it from the Microsoft Store in Windows 11)

Or to be perfectly honest... a lot of us around here have a bit too much free time. If you can post the STL I'm sure someone will come and split it for you.

Posted · Problems with slicing STI files from blender
    2 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Blender isn't great at producing STL files because it's not really designed for editing files saved the way STL files get saved (although there are worse).

Unfortunately a lot of tools designed for working with STL files (like MeshLab or Meshmixer) have a bit of a learning curve.

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's "3D Builder" app is actually pretty good for editing STLs and can easily split an object so you can save it as separate parts (it's included in Windows 10 but I think you have to download it from the Microsoft Store in Windows 11)

Or to be perfectly honest... a lot of us around here have a bit too much free time. If you can post the STL I'm sure someone will come and split it for you.

update: I did my splitting and slicing with the microsoft 3d software, turns out it works. Thanks a lot!!!!!