Cura and hole filling

Posted (edited) · Cura and hole filling

My Cura is filling the hole I need in order for this piggy bank to work. I'm making a giant soda can (see first image below) for my brother, but when I try to slice it, the opening is filled with gyroids and a lid-like object (see second image below). any solution to this? I've already checked "Remove All Holes", it's off. Thanks.

(STL provided)

image.png

image.png

Soda Bucket.stl

Edited by PxrpleTech

Posted (edited) · Cura and hole filling

When Cura colors a model with polka-dot pattern like that it is indicating extra surfaces or surfaces that are facing inside-out.  A program like MS 3D Builder can be used to repair a lot of model errors.  On this model the errors are so severe that it couldn't be fixed.

This is the Cura X-ray view.  The red surfaces are wrong and it is an invalid model.  In addition the walls are just surfaces with no thickness.  And...these models are assemblies rather than single pieces.  You might be able to spiralize these, but I think the tall piece would fail because the chamfer on the bottom is too severe.

image.thumb.png.54aa83338ebef902d21de4e31e0a11c3.png

This needs to go back to CAD for a do-over.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 2