Are all the Bowden tubes the same size?

Posted · Are all the Bowden tubes the same size?

Since some time I have two printers. An S3 and an S5R2. The two printers are about the same age, but both printers I bought second hand. The S3 had about 50 days hot time on it and the S5R2 less than a day when purchased.  Most of my prints are done with premium quality filament, but I have some cheap filament I use to do test runs during the early stages of prototyping. One of these spools seems to be slightly thicker than regular 2.85mm filament. It goes through the S3 perfectly, but fails on the S5. Is this explicable? I also have Addigy Arnitel F2045 (DSM Arnitel TPC). This filament is not the simplest filament to print. It prints fine on the S3, but has a number of difficulties on the S5. That could also be attributable to the longer tubes, but could also be related to a slight diameter difference. 

The diameter of the bowden tubes is the same for the both the S5 and S3, but the length is different. (750mm tube on the S3, 850mm tube on the S5). Since they're second hand, it's possible that one of them may not have the original tube, so you could be seeing a difference there if one got replaced with a third party tube. 

Thanks for the information. Both units have the tubes with one side flared. The S5 most definitely has the original tubes. I was just curious if there was a change in supplier or something similar. Maybe I'll look into the solex aftermarket Teflon tubes for the S5 

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the one tube on my S5 with a cheap PTFE tube from AliExpress. It has the temperature resistance I would expect from PTFE. The first test print with TPE90A seems to work fine. That is an improvement, in any case.