Ultimaker 2 Restoration

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Restoration

I think this is a "volumetric" versus "linear" issue.  The fact that you had to tell cura that filament is 1.75mm is a red flag right there as with UM2 you usually set that on the printer, not the slicer.  But you can set it in the slicer if you don't do volumetric.

So the comments at the top of the gcode somehow tell your um2 if it's volumetric or not.

I recommend volumetric.  So in cura...

Go into PREPARE tab (not preview) and click on the printer and it drops down and choose "manage printers" but note the selected printer just before clicking that blue button.  In the popup it should have the same printer selected then click blue button "machine settings".  Set to "Ultimaker 2" which is one of the volumetric choices.  The other choice is "marlin (volumetric)".  Do the ultimaker 2 one.

Now cura should hide any settings related to:

nozzle temp, bed temp, retraction distance, and default fan should be 100% as you can lower it on the printer.  All those settings and more are now on the printer.  Including filament diameter.

By the way if you print over USB you can't do volumetric.  You have to do "marlin" I think.  This is assuming you are using SD card.

Now the extruder should rotate at the correct "speed".

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

I think this is a "volumetric" versus "linear" issue.  The fact that you had to tell cura that filament is 1.75mm is a red flag right there as with UM2 you usually set that on the printer, not the slicer.  But you can set it in the slicer if you don't do volumetric.

So the comments at the top of the gcode somehow tell your um2 if it's volumetric or not.

I recommend volumetric.  So in cura...

Go into PREPARE tab (not preview) and click on the printer and it drops down and choose "manage printers" but note the selected printer just before clicking that blue button.  In the popup it should have the same printer selected then click blue button "machine settings".  Set to "Ultimaker 2" which is one of the volumetric choices.  The other choice is "marlin (volumetric)".  Do the ultimaker 2 one.

Now cura should hide any settings related to:

nozzle temp, bed temp, retraction distance, and default fan should be 100% as you can lower it on the printer.  All those settings and more are now on the printer.  Including filament diameter.

By the way if you print over USB you can't do volumetric.  You have to do "marlin" I think.  This is assuming you are using SD card.

Now the extruder should rotate at the correct "speed".

I actually have been using Ultimaker 2 Gcode flavor from the start which is why I'm so confused. How do I set the filament diameter on the machine itself ? Also I have been printing with SD Card the entire since USB printing has always been pretty unreliable in my experience.

21 hours ago, gr5 said:

When I go to material (right menus) and then settings and "hover" on PLA I see it says 2.85 for the filament diameter but I think that's only for one nozzle.  I recommend you go to the bottom and do "export to SD" (or some similar wording) and then bring the sd card back to a computer and look at the file it created and make sure you have 1.75 for filament diameter everywhere.  I'd just edit it in any text editor, put it back on the SD and then import it back into the printer.

This is how you set the filament diameter on the printer (posted yesterday on this topic). 

So it sounds like it's printing 2.6X too slow (2.85^2 / 1.75^2).

Another check would be to set the flow to 265%.  But just fix it in the materials settings on your printer.

On 7/4/2024 at 7:08 AM, gr5 said:

This is how you set the filament diameter on the printer (posted yesterday on this topic). 

So it sounds like it's printing 2.6X too slow (2.85^2 / 1.75^2).

Another check would be to set the flow to 265%.  But just fix it in the materials settings on your printer.

I adjusted the materials file and imported it into firmware from the SD Card and told it to save it but it wasn't extruding. I had to invert the axis on the extruder to begin with do I need to do that in the slicer too ?

8 hours ago, adamjvr said:

I had to invert the axis on the extruder to begin with do I need to do that in the slicer too ?

No.

So the feeder is turning the correct direction but too slow.  Did you set the steps/mm?  You can do that from the front panel but you have to save it as well I think?  After you set the steps/mm, power cycle the printer and make sure it's still at the correct value.  And test it.  Use the MOVE command to move the filament say 50mm and make sure it moves about 50mm.

Wait - are you in the Boston area?  I'm in the Boston area.  You could bring it by my house if you want.  email me at thegr5store "at" gmail.com

For example we could try an SD card with a known gcode file that I know works on UM2.  I could look at your steps/mm and so on.

By the way on the UM2 you can mess with the current that goes to the stepper drivers for each of the 4 stepper drivers separately.  Controlled from the front panel.  If you set the current too high it misses steps.