Gaps in the outside wall

Jonas28
Go to solution Solved by Jonas28,

Posted · Gaps in the outside wall

Hello, I'm new to 3D printing and have been having a problem for a few weeks. As you can see in the photo I have gaps in the outside wall. Spent several hours trying to fix this error. But I didn't manage anything. I've already changed the filling, changed the horizontal extension, but nothing worked. Finally I downloaded versions 5.6 and 5.3 and before that I completely deleted Cura. Nevertheless, the problems are still there. Now I have version 5.8, the latest. Could someone give me a tip?

image.png.a11bef578321aa5a812d675a43fb4f09.png

25 minutes ago, Jonas28 said:

Hello, could someone please give me a tip? Or am I the first with the problem

You don't need to bump your post after less than 12 hours, you know. Time zones and whatnot.

It would be really helpful if you could share a Cura project file (.3mf, get it set up then go to File > Save Project) so we can see all of your print settings.

As well, information like what printer do you have, what sort of filament are you using, anything that might be able to help. A photo usually isn't much to go by.

The obvious answer is underextrusion in the extreme (which can have any number of causes) but that's usually more regular, not sporadic like this. Although being able to see the curves of each line also makes me think underextrusion; the filament is not filling out to create a smooth surface - usually I have to break out my macro lens to demonstrate that effect.

Could be a layer adherence problem too. Often the cause of that is printing at too low a temperature... but not always.

It's also possible it's something wrong with the printer - the extruder can't feed reliably or something.

So all the info you can provide (and a project file) can help us try and narrow down the cause of this 🙂

OK thanks. I use a Creality Ender 3V2, I print exclusively with PLA 1.75 diameter from various brands. (There are gaps on all filaments) My extruder is mounted directly above the print head. Prints at standard quality 0.2mm. I have a 0.4 diameter nozzle. I also have version 5.8 beta. I have attached the 3mf file below.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards, Jonas28

3mf.3mf

Hiya again.

That file seems to be corrupt. I managed to repair it but then I was only able to get the model out, not your settings. Try saving the project again, and make sure you're saving it as a project, not just exporting the model (sorry if that sounds obvious, but some people have mistaken the two before):

image.png.d568d234cc0bbf0aacfc7aa7cc938b31.png

• Like 1

Okay, that's just a standard profile with a couple of minor adjustments that shouldn't affect anything... assuming you're printing PLA. If you're not printing PLA, then you probably need to adjust at least the temperature to match the filament you're using.

If you're using PLA and those are the same settings as the print you provided the photo of, it's almost certainly a hardware problem. Main checklist in case of this sort of hardware problem:

• Test a different spool of filament to make sure the filament isn't the problem
    • Clean out your nozzle, or if you have a spare nozzle, try using that and see if it makes a difference (nozzle could be clogged)
    • Make sure your bed is level and your Z offset is correct
    • Make sure printer is correctly tuned - belts at the correct tension and such, especially making sure the Z screw is at appropriate tightness in this case
    • Calibrate your E-steps - your extruder might not be pulling through as much filament as it thinks it is. There should be plenty of tutorials on YouTube for how to do this
    • Like 1

Hello, I made a 3D print. There are no gaps in the exterior, the gaps are almost all gone except for a few others, but not all. I adjusted the overlap of the outer skin. I'll now do another 3D print and make the overlap more, let's see if they're gone, I'll get back to you.

Hello, the gaps in the outer wall are still there but minimal, I have set the outer wall overlap to 100%. I do not know more.

• Solution

Hello, I found the solution. I calibrated my extruder and now printing works really well. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1