Print a part using black filament for the inside and white filament for the outside on an Ultimaker S5

Posted · Print a part using black filament for the inside and white filament for the outside on an Ultimaker S5

Hi,

To print a part where the inside should be black and the outside white I would like to assign the inside surfaces to nozzle 1 and the outside surfaces to nozzle 2 (or the other way around).

Is this possible in Cura and if so how can it be done?

Or should I split the model into two stls and then put them on the building plate at the same time?

How can a nozzle be assigned to a certain stl in that case?

br,

Leo

Posted · Print a part using black filament for the inside and white filament for the outside on an Ultimaker S5

You could put black into the first extruder (which will print everything by default) then white into the second and change Walls > Wall Extruder > Outer Wall Extruder to extruder 2:

image.thumb.png.55da5e72a5125aaf21cd6a01fbd98d6f.png

However this depends on your object. If your object has a well in the middle (like a pencil holder or something) then this will make the inside of that white:

image.thumb.png.e133da5f31991519ae65c923d9e33ae6.png

If it's a solid object then it'd work fine.

If you want to make it two separate models, assigning an extruder is easy: just right click the model in Prepare mode and pick your extruder:

image.thumb.png.7bd701c16067ed5988d8545e974992d9.png

Bit of a warning though:

White PLA tends not to be completely opaque. You usually need several layers/walls of it to hide what is underneath. I haven't tried walls - because I don't have a dual extruder printer - but it usually takes about 4x0.2mm layers of white PLA to completely hide the colour underneath.

• Like 1