where is the start and end g-code of a printer stored?

drobble
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · where is the start and end g-code of a printer stored?

Hi,

I was forced to switch from Cura 5.4 to v5.8 and was not able to 'save' the start- and end g-code I had created for my printer.

(I can't launch v5.4 anymore)

How can I access the g-code sequence (from and cfg file, perhaps) to use it in the new instance of v5.8?

I still have the 'old' directory structure from my v5.4.

Any help is much appreciated.

TIA

"Settings / Printer / Manage Printers / Machine Settings" and the StartUp and Ending Gcodes are in the large text boxes at the bottom of the dialog.  You can copy and paste them over to the new version.

You should then save a "Project File" with a calibration cube.  It will contain all the printer info that was in place when the project was saved.  Your StartUp and Ending Gcodes will update when you open the project.  It's something I have to be careful of because I open a lot of other peoples projects and I really don't want my custom startup and ending to be over-written.

If you can't access 5.4 then you can try to rebuild the StartUp from a gcode file.  It won't show the replacement patterns though.  You will have to get them from AHoeben's list HERE.

You will likely need "material_print_temperature_layer_0" and "material_bed_temperature_layer_0" and maybe "material_standy_temperature".  They go into curly brackets like:

M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}

and when Cura saves the gcode the replacement keyword will become the actual setting value.

• Solution

Go to the Cura configuration folder (just go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) and then in the file explorer window that opens, go up one level and there should be a folder for each version. Go into the folder for 5.4, then into the definition_changes folder and there should be a file named something along the lines Your+Printer.inst.cfg (for whatever your printer is called). Open that file in a text editor (Notepad would be fine) and it will include any changes you've made to the base definition.. including the start and end gcode. You can copy and paste it from that.

14 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Go to the Cura configuration folder (just go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) and then in the file explorer window that opens, go up one level and there should be a folder for each version. Go into the folder for 5.4, then into the definition_changes folder and there should be a file named something along the lines Your+Printer.inst.cfg (for whatever your printer is called). Open that file in a text editor (Notepad would be fine) and it will include any changes you've made to the base definition.. including the start and end gcode. You can copy and paste it from that.

Thank you, you are a good man.