Ultipanel + SD card reader

Posted · Ultipanel + SD card reader

I have a couple of questions regarding the Ultipanel and SD Card addon.

I want to take my own take in realizing this mod with a rotary clickable encoder, a 16x4 lines lcd and an arduino SD Card reader.

What I'm going to use is the following stuff:

2x of these connectors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330705567036? ... 500wt_1057

1x of these card readers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260990355580? ... 1554wt_881

1x of these rotary encoders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-ROTARY-EN ... 868wt_1139

and a common 16x4 LCD.

Now my question is:

what is the high to low shift register used for in the original ultipanel design?

As far as I understood the SD card reader goes straight to the EXP 2 connector while all the LCD and rotary encoder parts have to go on EXP 1.

Am I missing something?

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15081

this is the Ultipanel. So you should be able to get the information from there. Ultimaker is not hiding information about what they build. Same as with the machine, most info is out there.

You need a 20x4 display, not 16x4.

Also, I followed a discussion about rotary encoders on #reprap a few weeks back, and there are a lot of quality differences between those things. So be careful with what you get.

Hi Daid,

thanks for your reply. Sorry I meant a 20x4 display :)

I'm a bit confused on how to wire the SD card reader as the connections appear to be quite different from what's written here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15081

and what's instead written here:

http://jjshortcut.wordpress.com/2011/03 ... extension/

Have you got any clue about this?

The Pin configuration can be changed in pins.h in Marlin. You can compile the firmware yourself and use whatever pins you want, but I suggest following the Ultipanel by bkubicek, as this is what the default Marlin settings use.

(I hope you are doing this because you like doing this, and not to save a few bucks, because if you start calculating the time you will spend in figuring this out, and building, then the price of the UltiPanel is not that bad)

I agree, the thing is that I always liked to mess with electronic stuff (proud owner of 9 Arduinos :p ). Also I had purchased those components already before the Ultipanel came out so I want to do something with them at this point :)

You're proud of owning Arduinos? :O I'm more of a bare AVR user myself ;)

I think you can drop in an 16x4 LCD instead of the 20x4, but some text will fall of the edge then. I do recommend using the same pinout as bkubicek, so you don't need to adjust the firmware. Using the resistors instead of the level converter will also work, but a level converter is a bit nicer. But it's not a real complex build.

I noticed that you're in bare AVR from the buildmemarlin website :p

If it was me I would've provided a .pde file with an Arduino sketch instead hahaah :p

I'll go with a 20x4. Waiting for the components to be delivered and then I'll start going through the whole thing one at a time. Thing is...what's the level converter for in that build?

The level converter is because the SD cards talk at 3.3V, and the Arduino at 5V. A level convertor is a clean solution. A bunch of resistors is a dirty solution, but also works.

That was a brilliant explanation.

I then guess I won't need the level converter as, the SDCard adapter I got, already had the resistors surface mounted.

What's the role of the buzzer in the Ultipanel? Does it work as a notification for when's the print finished?

So far all I know is that you get buzzes when you click on menu actions. I find it pretty loud and should put a piece of tape on it to silence it a bit.

Maybe there is a GCode command that can buzz, but not sure.

I see that this is now available on the Ultimaker website :D

https://shop.ultimaker.com/en/parts-1/ulticontroller-ultipanel.html#

Does anyone know if the encoder is just connected to the ground and then to the input pins of the board? No resistors in-between or anything else?

EDIT: I self answered to this one: yes, it is :)

Maybe there is a GCode command that can buzz, but not sure.

I do know that there is a hidden command running in the wild that makes a lot of funny noises when activated, but I wont tell :D

What does it mean when on the display appears "PARTIAL RELEASE" ?

What does it mean when on the display appears "PARTIAL RELEASE" ?

The message is generated when the step motors are released. It does this at the end of an SDcard print. The message is kinda wrong, but it's not partial, it's a full release as it released all step motors. It's done with the M84 command.

Oh, and with released they mean that the power is removed. Normally the step motors are still powered and kept in place, preventing movement. After the release you can move the head by hand.