Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
adragomir

UM1 Printhead play at one end of the axis

Hey I've got a small problem with my UM1. At the front of the front-to-back printhead 6mm axis, there is a lot of play on the printhead, you can visibly see the wiggling. This does not happen as I move to the back of the axis. There is also a little play on the left-to-right axis, same thing, more to one side.

I checked that:

1. The axis itself seems to be well embedded in the blocks, and cannot move, either up down, or slide in and out of the axis

2. The printhead is well bolted together, the plywood pieces themselves do not move.

I read some threads on the forums, but I can't understand why the movement is only to one end of the axis. Maybe imperfect axis that thins to one end ? Slightly bent ?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,

Sure sounds like imperfect axis (either thinner in one end than the other or slightly bend), did you try to take them out and check them on the most even surface you can come across? You are absolutely sure that it is the axis that have play inside the bearings and not the bearings that have play in the frame or the frame itself is unstable?