Ultimaker in schools

drafting-design

Posted · Ultimaker in schools

I am a Drafting/Design instructor in Nebraska, USA. I have been researching 3-D printers with the hope of obtaining one to enhance my students' learning, until I stumbled upon the Ultimaker this was merely a far fetched dream. However, before I can go ahead with anything I have been told to do some more research resulting in the following questions.

Is there anyone in the general Nebraska area who has an Ultimaker that I would be able to see in person?

Is there a possibility of obtaining a small example of a printed part from someone which I could use in a school board presentation?

Those of you with the Ultimaker, in your opinion would the machine stand up to the type of use it would be exposed to in a school setting?

Is it possible to print a part drawn in INVENTOR?

These are the questions I have as of right now... I may have more as time passes. I am open to any and all advice on the situation.

Thank you in advance for all the help!!!

Those of you with the Ultimaker, in your opinion would the machine stand up to the type of use it would be exposed to in a school setting?
    Depends on the setting. Leaving students on their own to work with a $1200 machine that can burn you?

On the other hand, the worst damage you can do without kicking it around is embedding the hot printer head in the printed bed, which leaves "burn marks" on the acrylic.

Is it possible to print a part drawn in INVENTOR?
    yes.

(the rest I cannot answer, me not from the USA)

Thanks for your input! I am really hoping to be able to purchase a printer soon. The students who would be using the printer will be responsible engineering students. After your explanation of possible damage, I think the risk would be worth it. Thanks again!