Fully printable feeder upgrade

Posted · Fully printable feeder upgrade

Hi all,

I thought the normal feeder mechanism was causing a lot of friction when driving the filament, mostly because of the nature of the parts.

I have re-designed one of it's pieces to include a 10x6x3 mm roller which can be bought on Ebay for £2.

This improved in a great way the feeding of the filament. Here's my design:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21674

Any feedback is welcome :)

- Alex :)

DSC_2365_preview_card.jpg

DSC_2364_preview_card.jpg

Great idea!

If you added a printable lower half, the original part would not have to be cut, and could be kept as a fall back in case something goes horribly wrong.[edit] it's already two parts, my bad...[/edit]

Most replacement extruders take hours to print (days in my case) which is tough to do when your extruder isn't working well. I have piles of failed ghagen and ultistruder parts in my scrap pile. This would be a great to have.

In retrospect, all I really needed to do was clean my hobbed bolt and add a nut to the thumb screw to serve as a jam nut (keeps it from backing out from vibration), but it took me almost two weeks to figure that out.

(ordering bearings asap) [edit] found a bearing in my junk bin, will print one tonight.[/edit]

Kyle

Awesome Kyle,

let me know how it goes :) I had to manually cut a couple of mms of plastic at the edge of the roller. I will update the design later on today.

I made a couple of prints with this mod in place and seems to be working perfectly :)

Note that the printed part is designed to be slightly wider than the standard plastic one in order to prevent any friction between the bearing and the wood.

Even if it's wider it's ok anyway as the standard plastic parts are 3mm while the gap between the wood allows parts up to 4mm to be fitted in :)

This one is 3.6 - 3.7 mm :)