Ultimaker 2 Stuttering at homing position - solved

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Stuttering at homing position - solved

I re-newed the Ultimaker 2 nozzle. Now my problems with filaments are gone and my print-outs are looking good again.

When I changed the nozzle I had to move the extruder in the middle by hand.

I didn´t need any power to move the extruder.

But now I have an issue when the extruder is doing homing and the box is harmed a little at all because of scratches of the stuttering extruder.

I made two short videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23dys84248ii0tn/UM2-Homing-Issue1.MP4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96q2p5y419ny6di/UM2-Homing-Issue2.MP4

Important is the noise when extruder is going home.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Stuttering at homing position - solved

The x-axis homing switch isn't triggering correctly. The switch should trigger when it is hit by the rear sliding block. Turn the power off again, and move the head left-to-right by hand. Listen for the switch to click before the fans hit the side wall.

If it doesn't, make sure that the switch actually can still click, by activating it manually. Assuming that it can (and the switch isn't broken) then try moving the switch slightly to the right. It is held in place with two screws located in a slots on the top of your printer - in the video it looks like they aren't all the way to the right. Loosen the screws slightly, slide the switch to the right and then tighten them again. Be careful not to overtighten, as the threads can strip quite easily.

If that is still not enough to get the switch to trigger, then you may need to take some needle-nosed pliers (curved ones are best) and gently bend the metal lever on the switch slightly, so that it has a (very small!) kink in it, so that it activates a little sooner.