Inner supports for object with 0 infill

DidierKlein

Posted · Inner supports for object with 0 infill

Hi all,

I need to print a skull (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:70717)

The thing is i need to print it with 0 infill and now bottom but i'm pretty sure it will fails as there are inner overhangs (the orbits and nose bone for example).

I added supports myself with DesignSpark Mechanical (just created boxes that go up to these parts). I've done a little test print for this and it seems to be working.

I'm wondering if the top of the skull will print correctly. And i'm not able to create some supports myself that will come off as easily as the support generated by Cura.

Is there a way to add support at the inside of an object or do i have to create them my self?

Hi Didier,

you mean like that?

http://www.torhoff.com/3d/Celtic_Skull_singlewall_sup.zip

Did it just quick and dirty in the lunch break with meshmixer (newest version).

May be you should make the support poles thicker.

Here is how:

- Import stl in Meshmixer

- Rotate it in the right position

- 'Edit' -> 'Plane cut' - type: cut, fill: no fill, check 'hard edge' -> Accept (make sure the the small blue arrow shows to the side you want to cut away)

- 'CTRL A' to select all -> "EDIT" -> "Flip Normals" to flip inner and outer shell

- "Analysis" -> Overhangs (adjust parameters if necsessary) -> "Support all Overhangs"

- done :)

hth

Joerg

Edit: link corrected

Thanks for the tip Joerg,

I can't download the file you linked...

I've already tried meshmixer but i'm always struggling to make the object in the right position.

I will have a look at you method tonight if i have time :)

Thanks a lot, following your advice and the excellent stuff from illuminati's blog http://www.extrudable.me/2013/12/28/meshmixer-2-0-best-newcomer-in-a-supporting-role/

I think i managed to have something that will work nicely and without fighting with my pc to make it :)

Will be printing a test part for the top in a couple of minutes to see how it goes.

great, please let me know how it worked, may I will print it too in colorfabb XT and put some LEDs in it :mrgreen:

Well i made a test in natural PLA and i ended up with the same idea ^^

Anyway supports do their work but they seem to go through the skull and as i print with 0 infill it leaves a hole...

Back to meshmixer ^^ i guess it comes from the Flip normals trick?

Back to meshmixer ^^ i guess it comes from the Flip normals trick?

yes, correct, that's the key ;)

Edit: May be the normals must be flipped back after adding support? Didn' test it, just an idea

First thing i tried but nope the support structure seems to go through the skull so i guess i have to figure out another way or do the top of the skull test again without support to see how it fails (if it fails)

ahh too bad, I cant start a print today. May be I can test it tomorrow evening.

we should keep in touch regarding this issue ;)

Ok, I tested it and the print failed. The support goes through the top. So another idea is required :(

Yes this is what i noticed too on my test print.

Didn't find a way to do this unfortunately, so i added a cylinder in the skull after cutting the base with meshmixer. I don't really know how i managed to do the following, while playing with flip normals and analysis to repair the model i managed to make the cylinder be an outer shell in cura.

The i set some infill that left the cylinder hollow and filled the rest making support for the overhanging parts. The print went good.

There must be a way to print this hollow but i'm not good enough with cad software to do this.

This is a little timelapse of the skull. I had to use supports from cura for the side parts too.

Hi Didier,

it came to my attention that you managed the print, as you showed off here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/?p=50031

How did you finally manage it?

Cheers,

Joerg

I explained it just above. Not the best solution but it worked.

It seems that nicolux did something similar with his yoda that didn't finish, you can clearly see some infill inside close to the shell.

Unfortunately it isn't ok if you want to light it up from the inside.

I didn't try other slicers maybe some have this feature? I doubt it but who knows

Ah, ok. I missed your answer :oops:

I'm still thinking on this issue but heaven't found a proper solution too. So may be time will tell ;)