Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jeremy-gillick

Not printing evenly

All of a sudden the base layer of my prints have been printing unevenly and starting to get gummy. I thought it might be my model, so I tried a previous one on the SD card with the same results. I also notice that some of the extrusion is rolling up onto the nozzle. At the second layer it starts pushing around a lump of extrusion at point.

I've tried resetting the bed height and cleaning the nozzle by sticking a very fine wire in it. Then changed back to the original blue filament. It's still doing it.

Any ideas?

photo 1

photo 2

looks like you are printing to cold ( blue pla should be between 190 230 ) or your nozzle is blocked...

try heating the nozzle to 90°c and than pull by hand the filament out, than cut the tip, retry a print, redo operation until the nozzle is cleaned, you want to get the particle that blocks the nozzle out, at 90 you can pull the filament without melting the pla, giving you a better chance to pull out the particle with the pla.

Have you tried other filaments? Maybe a bad batch?

Tried both with the brown and the stock blue that came with the printer.

looks like you are printing to cold ( blue pla should be between 190 230 ) or your nozzle is blocked...

try heating the nozzle to 90°c and than pull by hand the filament out, than cut the tip, retry a print, redo operation until the nozzle is cleaned, you want to get the particle that blocks the nozzle out, at 90 you can pull the filament without melting the pla, giving you a better chance to pull out the particle with the pla.

I was printing at 210 degrees at 60mm/s. I'll try to clean the tip the way you're suggesting and see if that helps.

Thanks.

I cleaned the nozzle, reset the print bed height, set the temperature to 215, brought the heated bed temp down to 60, slowed the print to 50mm/s, changed the layer height from 0.08mm to 0.1mm and added a brim to the print. Not sure which one of things things helped, but I have a perfect print going right now!