controlling extrusion, print, and travel speeds

edgar-meyer

Posted · controlling extrusion, print, and travel speeds

CURA greatly reduces the choice of parameters and is easy to use - thanks!

I downloaded CURA and used default values (print=50, travel=150, extrusion=?, temp=225C).

Printing progressed nicely for ca. 3mm = 2 hrs, when extrusion slowed=stopped and a plug formed

what parameter(s) should I vary?

any suggestions?

thanks, EM

Did the printing just halt? Or did it slow down a lot?

Also, did you print from Cura or from PrintRun? I recommend printing from PrintRun as that is a bit more stable I think.

I executed printrun.bat; program Printer Interface (no version number, presumably the latest download) ran successfully for over an hour, then the x-y-z drives ran normally but the PLA feed stopped.

So, which parameters control:

1) extrusion speed

2) x-y print speed

3) x-y travel speed

and, if the PLA feed stops after a longer print time, is this a feed speed or a temperature problem? I have the PLA spool on ball-bearings, so there is very little front-end resistance.

thanks, EM

1) Controlled by the actual print speed, combined with the filament diameter and the required line width (volumetric printing)

2) "Print speed (mm/s)" controls this, on the main tab. If you use normal mode, in simple mode this is always 50mm/s, except for the quick print, in which this is 75mm/s.

3) "Travel speed (mm/s)" controllable on the advanced tab. In normal mode. In simple mode this is always 150mm/s.

It's odd for the extruder to just stop. Could you upload the GCode somewhere so I can have a look at it?

Also, did PrintRun report anything "odd", like a MINTEMP triggered, or a "Cold extrusion prevented"?

Daid,

I cleaned and reassembled the extrusion set. a 6hr print job ran for 4 hrs before clogging

I tried to find the lowest useful printing temperature

how much latitude is there in changing (speeding up) the extrusion speed - presumably by reducing the filament diameter value?

any other suggestions? - obviously something is still wrong because I cannot print a complete job

Are you able to print a longer (5+ hrs) job with your system?

thanks,

EM

I've completed 6-7 hour jobs without issues, and I've had a 8 hour job detaching itself from the bed creating a huge mess. The only plug I had was because I pulled back filament slowly at 240C. And my head was slightly lose due to vibrations. Even my 2nd printer head is not producing any problems...

Actually, I found a lower printing temperature to cause more problems then a high printing temperature. Around 220 seems to be my sweet spot for consistent prints.

Daid,

I cleaned and reassembled the extrusion set. a 6hr print job ran for 4 hrs before clogging

I tried to find the lowest useful printing temperature

how much latitude is there in changing (speeding up) the extrusion speed - presumably by reducing the filament diameter value?

any other suggestions? - obviously something is still wrong because I cannot print a complete job

Are you able to print a longer (5+ hrs) job with your system?

What is your printing temp&speed&layer height at the moment?

have you tried to find the lowest extrusion temp in printrun by starting your print, and manually typing M104 Sxxx (xxx being the temp in C) into the "send command" field and watching the extrusion for 2-3 layers to see if it fails, and if not, lowering the temp by 5 C again (rinse&repeat until it fails)?