First Prints - Squeaking on movement normal?

bjammmin

Posted · First Prints - Squeaking on movement normal?

Hi all,

I'm really excited to start using my UM2 - just got it yesterday.

I've done a few prints and so far the parts look great!

That said, I am hearing an odd squeaking/squealing sound when the head moves quickly from area to area (it didn't make this noise right away).

Is this normal?

I captured the sound in this video:

Problem solved. For anyone who finds this thread in the future... the sound in the video is caused by the filament feeder.

I adjusted the reel and pulley/guides and the travel squeak is now gone. Cool!

Hi there, that sounds exactly like mine. (Also squeaking).

That is those black plastic part on the right back side of the printer, in which the filament ist placed, when its is transported to the feeder. When the filament goes backwards and forewards on the plastic, that makes those squeaking sound. Try to put the spool as near as possible to the printer, than the squeaking should stop, or u can build your own spoolholder like this from User gr5:

sml_gallery_1527_132_320224.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I joined this forum to post about just this exact squeak, but didn't have a good way to record it (and was figuring out how to describe it). I was figuring it was a "figure out where to grease" sort of problem, so didn't even think to look back with the filament.

I don't have it permanently fixed, but taking some tension off the filament seems to stop the sound until it's fed a bit more and re-tightened the line. Once I have some time, I'm sure this can be sorted for a longer term fix.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to come over and say thanks for posting the video and helping to fix my issue over here, too!

I did a couple of things to eliminate the squeak and also help reduce tension on the filament feeder. First, I printed out from Youmagine the Filament guide V2. That helps redirect the filament so it enters the feeder more vertical. Then I wrapped some plumber's teflon tape around the spool holder and also around the guides. That seems to greatly reduce the friction of the spool holder and the filament guides. I just finished a 30+ hour print without problems.