Post-Maker-Faire UM2's in stock at Maker Shed

Posted · Post-Maker-Faire UM2's in stock at Maker Shed

Maker Shed is showing UM2's in stock again -- get 'em while they're hot!

UM2s for sale at Maker Faire 2014

These UM2's are apparently those left over from this past weekend's Bay Area Maker Faire. The photo above is the happy sight that met me when I showed up there early Saturday morning -- about 30-40 of them, lined up in boxes against the wall. I didn't get a chance to see how many were left at the end of the weekend, but I do see that Maker Shed's web site is finally showing them back in stock today. (Edit: Stuart mentions a coupon code that might work for these, in http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5773-back-from-makerfaire/?p=52323.)

I was in the fortunate position of finally deciding to pull the trigger on buying a UM2 just three weeks before Maker Faire. Knowing the long lead times, but guessing that Maker Shed would have held back some stock to sell at the Faire, I planned my attack, got there early enough to park in the closest lot, and brought a luggage cart with me. I got there even before the Shed folks had the registers up, and I had the printer in the car shortly after. (Sander kindly offered to store some spools of filament for me in the booth so they wouldn't sit in the hot car all day -- thanks again, Sander!)

Over at the Ultimaker booth, I got to have long talks with both Simon and Sander -- both very personable and helpful. After buying the UM2 the first morning, I took it home, unboxed it, and gleefully brought back the printed robot the second morning. Simon was of course a cornucopia of hints for improving the (already great) print quality. (I really like the one about using a wet paper towel after the glue stick, before printing -- works wonders.)

At risk of sounding like a complete fanboy, I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the Ultimaker 2. In my own case, I started unboxing the UM2 at 9:00 Sunday morning, and had the little robot printed and in my hand by 10:00. I bought this for business use, to make tools and jigs for our small electronics manufacturing business. As much as I personally wanted to put together a UM1 so I could feel more confident hacking or fixing it later, the turnkey-ness and precision of the UM2 is already paying off for us. I'll be even happier when it's easier to get a UM2 spare parts kit, but I know too well the pain of running a growing business, and I'm pretty sure this, too, can be solved.