Extruder coupling popping out of the wood

somerwil

Posted · Extruder coupling popping out of the wood

Hi guys,

it took a while to get this far but now my "quick fit coupling" as in the Ultimaker wiki (

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev ... _mechanism

) finally popped out of the wood. :-) It's the plastic part on this picture making a (new) way through the wood upwards.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ultimaker/5447118287/

I know this is a common issue and I know there are a few printable upgrades. Since I cannot print now these printable upgrades are not an option.

Any tips on an easy solution for this? This one (

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12125

) looks pretty strong but my wooden pieces look different from the one on the picture. When I dremel the wood bits to fit this military grade part I won't have enough wood left.

Thanks,

Michael

Your wooden pieces don't look the same as the military grade, because those are new cut parts by the design posted there.

I've seen a solution where there was just a screw inserted to hold the coupling in place. Sadly, I cannot remember the details nor do I have a picture.

I tried the cable tie but that didn't work out. I drilled some extra holes to attach the ties to but they didn't hold... I'm thinking of a little aluminium block now which I can produce at work. The drawing is already on paper, can't wait to make it tomorrow and test it!

A little adjustment in the design is probably an easy and quick solution for new Ultimakers. A little bit of extra wood/ tighter fit for the coupling will do.

You missed the part where he said that he could not print anything while he has this issue.

When I tried to print that part my coupling popped out again :-)

My first try was to get a piece of aluminium with a tapped hole to fit the coupling. Since the thread is NPTF it's difficult to find a tool to do that (at low cost and fast) so I ended up with new, 6mm lasercut steel sides on my assembly.

A bit of overkill but it works fine so far. It also seems the noise is reduced a little with the extruder mechanism now bullet proof. Not too sure about that one though...