Ulticontroller - patch for 1.5.4

Posted · Ulticontroller - patch for 1.5.4

UM shop states at Ulticontroller:

" For all Ultimaker electronics before the 1.5.6 version, a small patch is required (a single wire) which will make the Ultimaker self-powering (otherwise you still need to power it over USB ...)

Is there an instruction where that wire should go (on a 1.5.4 board) ?

Not sure where the instructions are. But:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/images/El1.5.4-PCB.jpg

See the bottom left corner, next to the Temp1,2,3 connectors, you have a row of pads. One of them is labeled "Vin". Solder the the wire to this pad.

For the other end of the wire, you need 12V. This can be taken from the + of the electronics fan connector on the right. (Not the print fan connector) So solder the wire to this pin.

Make sure you do not have a short-circuit somewhere before you turn it on.

I will need this wire as well and I don't want to mess it up...

I found the "Vin" connection so that's great. The other side of the wire is less clear. Do you mean the "+" right above the output text on the right bottom side of the picture? The soldering is not a problem but electronics is my blind spot ;-)

Does this mod make it so the arduino cannot be powered from usb, only by the power supply? Because I am annoyed at having that blue light stay on after I turn off my UM using the switch at the side.

Nope, this mod doesn't do that.

I think it would be possible to modify the Arduino that way, but it will be irreversible.

Daid, I used your info to make mine work, and it did work - so I figured I'd write some instructions and link it on the UltiController assembly page.

Thanks again!

Not to bring a thread back from the dead but my question applies to this. I have the 1.5.4 electronics. I am adding a headed bed to my Ultimaker this weekend and although I don't have an Ulticontroller yet its planned for the near future (birthday coming up :). So the question is can I go ahead and install the patch cable while I have the electronics apart and working on them. Will it be ok to use the usb connection even after applying this patch cable? I'd hate to fry something just because I didn't take the time to ask.

[edit]

I forgot to ask. In the instructions provided in the wiki it states "Virtually any wire that can fit 'through-hole' can be used". Any clarification on this. I realize it says any, but I always feel better with some potential wire gauges to look at.

Thanks,

Tom