Y axis stepper skipping

thedudevt

Posted · Y axis stepper skipping

My Y axis stepper is skipping about once every two hours or so. It makes it difficult to print anything big.

Is there anything I should be checking besides belt tension? I've recently greased the rods and squared the XY gantry. i'm running with stock marlin, so max speed is 250 i think. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

I found the left stepper very hard to get the right tension on since it is not pulling straight on the belt.

So I drilled a hole on top of and behind the left stepper motor - and used a screwdriver with a piece of wood in between to gently "wedge" the stepper down. That helped a lot.

I have also given all the belts "Cyclo Belt Dressing" - that is a gluey grease that keeps your belts in "better than new" condition.

Which version of Marlin do you use? I had some layer shifting on Marlin build 1 (rather old now...). These problems were solved on Marlin build 2 (which is also pretty old now ;-)).

I am using an old version of marlin because I use a deuligne board. Not sure which version it is, but it's old, it doesn't compile with Arduino 1.0. I'll add that to my list of changes to try, thanks!

I've been looking for an excuse to order an ultipanel. I haven't yet because I want to get a second hot end and two rev 3 extruder bolts and save on shipping.

Kyle

I've been looking for an excuse to order an ultipanel. I haven't yet because I want to get a second hot end and two rev 3 extruder bolts and save on shipping.
    I wouldn't hold up for the 2nd hotend, that could take a while I think.

The ultipanel is backordered, the hot end is available but probably not usable until you get dual extrusion in Cura sorted. It would be fun to hack on it but realistically I need to just get my bot stable enough to build this -

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19304

without extruder failure (sorted I think) or skipped steps. It's only nine hours too.

Kyle

the hot end is available
    I think you are referring to

https://shop.ultimaker.com/en/hot-end-kit-v1.html

However then you still mis:

• [*:3058azr4]The bowden tube

[*:3058azr4]Bowden tube clip

[*:3058azr4]The material feed mechanism (wooden parts, plastic parts, step motor, step motor driver, hobbed bolt, bunch of M3 bolts, M10 nuts)

My guess for a 2nd extruder kit in costs would be around 200E

but probably not usable until you get dual extrusion in Cura sorted.
    Dual extrusion in Cura development version works. However, oozing is still a big problem.

I think I fixed my Y axis problem- I added these

http://store.makerbot.com/accessories/n ... -pack.html

to the X and Y axis (2 per in place of the middle ply spacer) to dampen the high frequency noise. My bot is directly below the living room, and the boss was not happy with the sound of progress. The cork works actually, but the compression needed to clamp to motor tightly squeezed the cork into the angled belt on the Y axis. I took it apart and trimmed the cork further and it seems to be working now.

As is typical, I am the source of my own error, but now I've got it sorted, and it's much quieter.

As to the hot end- I have extra bowden tubing, and a lathe to thread it (my current bowden is threaded into the PEEK part - works a treat), so the only thing holding me back is an aftermarket extruder design that actually works as well as the original. I have two designs printed to test (retest), and I'm interested in printing a wade's type as it seems well tested.

I have a CNC mill, so I could make my own stock extruder frame and pinion, but that takes more attended shop time than I have available right now.

Thank you all for your ideas and assistance.

Kyle

I think I fixed my Y axis problem- I added these

http://store.makerbot.com/accessories/n ... -pack.html

to the X and Y axis (2 per in place of the middle ply spacer) to dampen the high frequency noise. My bot is directly below the living room, and the boss was not happy with the sound of progress.

I've heard (but not tested yet) that using normal round spacers same as the ones used to hold up the electronics) work pretty well to dampen the sound of the X/Y motors.

Also, while I was diagnosing my extruder issue yesterday, I picked up the extruder assembly from the back of my machine and then there was silence. Well, not real silence, but it was a lot less noisy then before. It sounds like the vibrations from the extruder motor are making it into the frame. I haven't tested any damping there, as I was having another issue which was more pressing. But I think it's worth investigating.

(Note, this could just be my machine, as I have an extra plate on the back with room for more extruders)

Thanks, I'll check that out, I mistakenly ordered three packs of cork gasket (9 total) so I have some extra material I could try and wedge between the extruder and frame.

Kyle

Im getting strange noises from the motor(s)

http://youtu.be/2v5lGA-c5VI

Is this normal ? How do i need to startup up the machine first time ? While its connected via usb or should it just be silent when the machine is turned on without being connected to USB / laptop..

Please help !