little improvement for cura

italianmaxx

Posted · little improvement for cura

At this moment cura is my preferred package. I want print and I need consistency and cura gives it to me a lot of consistency. print and print again and print again and no problem at all!

Working print after print I found some little improvement that could be helpful and prevent some little error when printing. I hope Daid can think about those abd aybe implement in future releases.

1- show the name of the loaded file and the name of the loaded profile somewhere in the GUI

2- let us choose the folder for the .gcode file

3-a x-y-z separated scale feature.( it is useful for enlarge extruded model (a lot of friends ask for a keychain with their names and sometimes a little adjustment on Z could save a print and prevent to come back to the modelling software))

4- reset the scale to 1.0 everytime a model is loaded.

5- cancel the gcode graphics when the [X] near show result - show log is pressed, just for clarity

thanks you very much Daid your effort for the community is really fantastic :D

1) I think in the title bar is normal in these types of applications. Which makes sense. Done for next version.

2) This would break a lot of features. But the development version has an "open file location" button, which opens an exporer window with the GCode file selected. Very useful to copy the file to SD, or to edit the GCode file after you sliced it.

3) I rather keep the simplicity of a single scale factor. I understand why in some rare cases a scale factor for X,Y or Z could be useful, but in 99% of the other cases it would get in the way.

4) Ever made a multi part object at 50% scale? :) I have been thinking about saving the scale/rotate/mirror options at the model location. But saving them in the printing profile has proven to be much easier so far. Also, the development version has a button next to the scale which resets the scale to 1.0 (all the toolbar options have icon buttons now)

5) Not sure why you would want that, the GCode file is still there. And it also loads the GCode file if you load a model file which already has sliced GCode.

first of all thanks for the kind reply,

1) yes! thanks

2) Understood, waiting for the next release ;-) but when I slice the same object with different settings it overwrite the last saved. Why not to add a suffix like xxxxx1.gcode xxxxx2.gcode so to have all the different sliced version ready to print without overwrite? (well the best would be a complex suffix to remaind basic parameters like layer thickness, speed, infill,, temp... like xxxxxxxxx02_50_20lin_215.gcode :lol:

4)what I means is that if I load and print different objects the scale remain the same of the first and if you change it once it remains until I reset it at 1.0. Maybe just changing the scale letterbox color when it <> 1.0 could be enough to pay the right attention, like this one scale 0.5

5) no prob, this way it's fine.

a huge thank for your patience too...

3) I rather keep the simplicity of a single scale factor. I understand why in some rare cases a scale factor for X,Y or Z could be useful, but in 99% of the other cases it would get in the way.

Going back to Gijs post on the google list, and some of my own measurements, I think individual scaling factors are critical to deal with shrinkage (which affects XY but not Z). So my vote would be "please include individual scaling factors"