Print not starting nearest corner

nigel-johnson

Posted · Print not starting nearest corner

I have this STL

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7506286/lime%20piece.stl

I need 18 of them so I either use the multiply option, or I load the piece 18 times. Regardless of how I get 18 of them on the plate, the print never starts at the point close to the print head. This means it drags the initial filament, and then prints over it. Why is this happening? How can I stop it?

Layer height: 0.25mm

Shell Thickness 0.8mm

Using Brims

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel

Wait, so it's not starting in the front left corner?

That is a good thing, otherwise you will hit your freshly printed things. It should start either right front working to the back or right back working to the front, both going leftwards.

If you look at the "tools" menu, are you printing one by one, or all at once?

I use print all at once, I don't think I've ever changed it from the default.

I wouldn't mind so much if it moved to the bottom right, or top left, but it starts "inside" the print. Screenshot here:

18.png

It only does this for this piece added multiple times. If I print a single piece, the first layer is exactly as I expect, and exactly like everything else I have printed to date:

01.png

If I do the multiply with the next smaller piece in my jigsaw, it also prints as expected:

018-yellow.png

When I print the outer ring pieces, they are also started "inside" the print.

018-green.png

I have also tried creating this 18 piece part as a single STL but it still prints the brim inside and starts where it does above.

The problem, I guess, is that there is no retraction after the nozzle prime, so it drags the priming ooze across the bed... though the base of the part.

I'm kind starting to see what it's doing. If there is an internal hole in the base layer it seems to want to start on the inside - I guess kinda like it starts on the inside of shells.

The problem is that either there is no retraction, or it sometimes goes well out of its way to find start point.