Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
daflipstud

Ultimaker 2 - better by release date?

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Can i get these updates remotely myself?

My situation is that i have the opportunity to purchase a used Ultimaker 2. I was just wondering if the later models get updated with newer parts, stronger materials, etc...

Is there anything i have to look out for when obtaining a used printer?

In terms of hardware, I don't know of any 'updates' since release.

There are a number of upgrades that you can print and install on your machine though. Most notably Robert's extruder.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

You can upgrade this yourself, and update cura & firmware yourself. Rarely would you need to send the machine in unless it has some unfixable flaw somewhere. The support and people here will try and get you up and running by you if possible.

They might come out with new upgrades later like dual extrusion, in which you might have to order from them directly if and when it comes out if that interests you. Just be aware, shipping to Toronto is kinda expensive + duties.

If buying used, if you have an opportunity, test print something and evaluate the print. It's hard to tell if it's in full working order just by looking at it.