Outer shell speed? Surfacespeed?

gonazar

Posted · Outer shell speed? Surfacespeed?

Can someone tell me, or direct me to documentation about Outer Shell speed?

I'm interested in finding out if it's possible to have a lower print speed for the outer most parts of the print for better surface quality.

Looking at the advanced settings I've seen the outer shell speed option, but can't find any documentation about it. The only threads I've seen is that it might be bugged and/or cause worse surface quality + slower printing overall.

I also started looking at plugins and found http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_Surfacespeed but it sounds similar I'm wondering if what the differences are and if I should use one over another. I haven't found any threads or documentation about Sufracespeed either or anybody's experience with it.

EDIT: Ah, I'm also interested in using the Tweak at Z plugin, but I'm wondering if this would conflict with Surfacespeed.

IE: regular print speed of 50mm/s, 35mm/s for surface parts, 20mm/s at certain layer heights in order to do overhangs.

Surfacespeed changes the speed based on a percentage, but would it do this for the initial speed or for the speed as it changes per height? If it does it by initial speed, then it might go faster than i want it to for overhangs. If it's the latter, then it might go much slower than I want it for overhangs.

Posted · Outer shell speed? Surfacespeed?

People have been using the outer-shell speed with great success at the office. You only need to make sure that you do not get a too sudden speed change. 150mm/s normal printing to 20mm/s outer skin gives a sudden change in nozzle pressure which isn't good for the surface quality. So I think the best results are if you have the infill higher, the inner walls normal, and the outer walls a bit slower. You'll get the biggest pressure difference going from outer-walls to infill. But the infill has less effect on your overall quality.