Best format for sharing designs

Posted · Best format for sharing designs

I am designing stuff in Fusion 360 and like to share my designs with others. So far I have always given out the Source in addition to the STL file. I have generally put it out in STEP format since that is what I saw Ultimaker release the UM2 source files as step format, so I figured some thought went into that.

In any case, I would like to know if its best to be giving these out in STEP or IGES format since I can export to either. Want to give the best fidelity into the orgiginal design while also using the more "Open source" format.

• 1 month later...
    Posted · Best format for sharing designs

Do both, and save out as Step and Igs (or iges). Both are inter-compatible with almost every decent cad program out there. I have noticed that Keyshot tends to import igs files a little better for things like springs, or other complex objects. Inventor, Solidworks, and all the other big dogs, will easily import step or igs. Fusion handles step and igs. Some step files that have faces with their own texture applied sometimes carry over better in step (214, not 203, but that might just be the programs I use). Sketchup needs a plugin to open step files.

It only starts to get tricky when you want to save for poly modeling programs like Blender. They don't seem to know what to do with step or igs, but most poly modelers will import the tried and true .stl.

For what it's worth, I use nurbs modeling, and save everything out as both step and igs, so the end user can pick which one is best for them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 16 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies