UM2 printing loops of filament on one side of symmetrical model

shipbuilder

Posted · UM2 printing loops of filament on one side of symmetrical model

Hi all.

I made a model of a small boat. The overhang of the fender is decent on one side, but on the other side the UM2 prints loops. Has this to do with the order in which the print head moves around?

I already cut off some loops with a small knife but you can still see the overhang is not very pretty. I don't need a high quality for this model, so the one side is perfectly acceptable, but the other side is not good enough. how can I solve this?

print settings:

layer height: .2

shell thickness: .8

enabled retraction

bottom/top thickness: 0.8

fill density: 20%

print speed 50 mm/s

material is ultimaker blue PLA. no supports.

IMG 20140812 114819

IMG 20140812 114836

Could be a cooling difference (on one side the fan is closer to the nozzle)

Also, is the fender part of the main model, as, are the fender and the boat 1 part? As it looks like there is a small gap between those, which isn't really working as an advantage for you.

Could be a cooling difference (on one side the fan is closer to the nozzle)

Also, is the fender part of the main model, as, are the fender and the boat 1 part? As it looks like there is a small gap between those, which isn't really working as an advantage for you.

thanks!

it might be the model, although I get this loop-printing quite often in overhangs. how do I resolve the cooling issue? slower print speed?

You will improve the overhangs by printing real slow, 20mm/s with fans on at 100%.

Strange model though. Your good side, close up actually looks pretty bad, i.e. the deck and the hull look separated - does the model have a gap between the two?. How was the model oriented on the print bed?