SD Card - Sorting the list on UM2 screen

pm_dude

Posted · SD Card - Sorting the list on UM2 screen

Hello,

A while ago someone said that he would like to sort the list of files and folder displayed in the UM2 print menu.

I've looked at the Marlin code for that a bit and no sorting is done at all. It really depend on when the file was placed on the card or in a given folder.

I didn't wanted to start making a sort directly in Marlin when we load the content of the folder since the browser is already slow when many files are present so I did a Python script that goes through the folders recursively and move the folders and files in order (sorted folder first, then sorted files) in and out of a temp folder just to force the FAT to be ordered. It doesnt change the modified date of the files.

Currently it works on Windows. I haven't padded much since it was just a quick test. The path to start the sort is set as root manually at the end. I don't think it would be safe enough at the moment for a wide distribution but if you want to test it out here is the code. The worst that can happen is that files or folders will be moved in a temp folder at the same level and wont be moved back.

import os
import tempfile
def SortContent(folder):
print "sorting content for", folder
content = os.listdir(folder)
tempdir = tempfile.mkdtemp(dir=folder)
content.sort()
for f in content:
realPath = os.path.join(folder, f)
if os.path.isdir(realPath):
tempPath = os.path.join(tempdir, f)
try: