Cura questions

futurejames

Posted · Cura questions

Just getting started with Cura RC4. I normally use either Ubuntu 12.04 or Win7. Thanks for supplying binaries for both! :D

I had started originally with RepG. So when I went to Cura, it didn't work initially. I ended up setting the baud rate to 115200 and it was able to communicate with the printer.Will this have any impact on the speed of printing? Should I try to update the firmware from Cura to go to 250000 or is there no advantage to this?

Are there any other things I should watch out for if I'm using multiple programs? Cura is becoming a fast favourite but I will probably still use RepG too.

Posted · Cura questions

Cura functions fine at 115200, but the chance of buffer underruns are smaller at 250000. However, because you are also running Linux, it's better to use 115200 because 250000 does not always seem to work for the Linux version of Cura.

Posted · Cura questions
    Cura functions fine at 115200, but the chance of buffer underruns are smaller at 250000. However, because you are also running Linux, it's better to use 115200 because 250000 does not always seem to work for the Linux version of Cura.

Thanks for the quick and infomative response.

One other question comes to mind. If I also switch between OS platforms often, should I stick with 115200?

Posted · Cura questions

Yes. It's best to stick to 115200 if you switch to Linux from time to time. Or, even better, fix PySerial ;p (that's the culpit for Linux)

But the best option is the UltiController, because with that you'll print without USB connection. However, because UM had a broken laser cutter they are currently in pre-order. I think they will be in stock soon again, but they have a backlog to work away then.

Posted · Cura questions
    Does one need to update the firmware with each release of Cura?

Nope. The firmware in RC2 RC3 and RC4 is exactly the same, and the firmware from RC1 also works in RC2/3/4.

Posted · Cura questions

FYI, I've been running at 230400 recently, which is one of the 'standard' speeds that PySerial on linux can handle, at least on my systems. So if you're afraid of underruns at 115200, you could switch to that. But I had been running at 115200 before that and have not seen any speed-related issues myself.

Posted · Cura questions
    FYI, I've been running at 230400 recently, which is one of the 'standard' speeds that PySerial on linux can handle, at least on my systems. So if you're afraid of underruns at 115200, you could switch to that. But I had been running at 115200 before that and have not seen any speed-related issues myself.

In normal cases you only get buffer underruns if your model is more detailed then your printer can handle. So far I've only seen this happen with the "thee-cup dragon" from thingiverse.

However, 250000 also causes less bit errors (because some clock dividers match up better) which causes less resends.

Posted · Cura questions
    Yes. It's best to stick to 115200 if you switch to Linux from time to time. Or, even better, fix PySerial ;p (that's the culpit for Linux)

But the best option is the UltiController, because with that you'll print without USB connection. However, because UM had a broken laser cutter they are currently in pre-order. I think they will be in stock soon again, but they have a backlog to work away then.

Well out of the two I'd have to say the UltiController option is easier :D. I guess now its a matter of waiting for them to be shipping again.