Feature Idea: Skip to next object

solonari

Posted · Feature Idea: Skip to next object

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I was curious as to the popularity and feasibility of such a feature, as it would need support both in Cura and in the firmware.

This feature would purely be for the "print one at a time" option.

Cura would embed a gcode comment or comment block at all object transitions that clearly indicates "new object start" in some fashion.

The firmware would add an option during print, whether juxtaposed to the "Pause" in the Tune menu or as part of the "Abort" menu perhaps, which simply allows the user to "Skip to Next Object" ... Selecting this option would cause the firmware to find the next object marker within the gcode, jump to the marker and start printing the next object.

We've all had prints fail in various ways, and I've multiplied an object a few times and one of them came unglued or curls during the print. Sometimes I'd rather not start over and I'd also rather not waste more time and filament on a corrupted object. In this case, I would be able to skip to the next object and be on my way again.

Posted · Feature Idea: Skip to next object

Yeah I was thinking of something like this too in the last week. I have played with the gcode recently. Each object when using print one at a time option are separated already with a new definition of a set of parameters such as:

M107
    G92 E0
    G10
    G0 F9000 X82.23 Y111.93 Z25.50
    G0 X137.82 Y102.25
    ;Layer count: 51
    ;LAYER:0

This new ;Layer count: 51 line could "maybe" be used. Ideally a list of line numbers to jump to at the beginning of the gcode would remove the need to search for any of that.

I dont know how that would be implemented in Marlin but that shouldn't be so hard to do in Cura. I already have some code that slit the gcode by objects for the SwapAtZ plugin (early dev: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7290-new-plugin-swap-at-height/)

On the Marlin side we will need someone else to answer for now...