Factory Reset while Filament still in Hot End

kunst1

Posted · Factory Reset while Filament still in Hot End

I have just hit factory reset accidentally, without removing the filament first. After the bed calibration step, it will ask for loading filament (which is already loaded). I am not certain what will happen if it tries to load an already loaded extruder, but I'm sure that won't come out well. Is there a way to work around this?

If i turn machine off and on again- it simply starts the factory reset all over again. I cannot acces any of the maintainence controls to heat the head and remove the filament prior to finishing the reset.

It has been suggested to remove the Bowden Tube and cut the filament. But this seems difficult as the filament is held firmly by bothe the feeder and the (cold) hot end.

Best way to proceed? (PLA)

Thanks for any expertise!

Go through the steps again until it starts heating up the hotend. Before it finishes warming up all the way just yank the filament out (if the hotend is 90C or more it's easy to pull the filament out). Once you get the filament out of the hotend you can shut down power, remove the filament all the way and start over once more.

Thanks!! I have only gone through the initial calibration once (everything has been working excellent), but if i am correct, during the reset steps, it will ask to feed the filament way before the hot end begins to heat up, therefor jaming in filament first slowly, then fast. And i am not sure how you mean to remove (or pull) the filament from where? it is fully loaded and firmly grasped by the feeder in the rear. Silly accident, but still can't figure out how to do this when there is only the initial set-up function available. (no maintenence or change filament functions available)

No, it will heat up before starting to feed material. And what I mean is to simply grab the filament at the rear of the printer and pull it out through the feeder. As far as I know the feeder motor is not energized until it starts loading the filament so you should be able to pull the filament out without any problem.

As far as I know the feeder motor is not energized until it starts loading the filament

Thanks again for clarity and your help! - Sounds like the best way, if the hot end does get hot enough, and the feeder is disengaged. I'll see if that is indeed the case before proceeding in the morning with clear head, and report back.

No, it will heat up before starting to feed material.

I have gone through factory reset steps 11/21, (bed levelling) - the very next "continue" command will start the feeder.

Your suggestion to remove the filament before this point could work if the nozzel is warm, however it is still cold.

Has anyone actually experienced this problem and has a tried-and-true solution?

SOLVED! Thanks to IRobertI !

OK. the solution was correct. But to add more clarity in the exact steps:

YES, the nozzel will heat up, but only in the next step.

In other words, press continue to feed material, but before it actually starts to feed, there is an intermediate step where the nozzel does heat up!

Then it was easy to remove the filament, cut fresh end and re-insert to complete the reset.

Hope this will be useful for others with same issue.

Many thanks for your help!