What is the difference between 3mm and 1.75mm plastic

ian

Posted · What is the difference between 3mm and 1.75mm plastic

I was shopping around for prices of plastic and keep finding both 1.75mm plastic and 3mm plastic.

does that mean that the extruder has a 3mm nozzle, only the 3mm will work and the same for 1.75 nozzle.

what size does the ultimaker take ?

and does the user get a better resolution from the 1.75 ?

also one last associated question.

If i get once of these 2.4kg reels, how many models can i make from that ?

just trying to work out loosely material cost ?

thanks guys.

Ian :D

The UM requires 3mm filament.

I think I'm half way trough my 2.3kg spool. With many objects, but I print a lot of small things. So it's kinda hard to say. The 2.4kg will last you more then enough time to figure out how fast you spend the filament and when you need to order more.

any good soruces for cheap 3mm plastic ?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Printing_Material_Suppliers

http://reprap.org/wiki/Filament_supplier_reviews

http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_Buyers_Gu ... _Suppliers

also is there a benafit to using 3mm over 1.75?

the difference between 1.75 and 3mm is fundamental. if you have a 3mm filament printer, you can't use 1.75 and the other way around.

you can change your setup, but it requires changing the extruder mechanics, and the hotend, in other words, it's a lot of hassle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies