Plugin adding extra Green areas to the layer

jweaver

Posted · Plugin adding extra Green areas to the layer

I raised this yesturday in a differnent form, but now I understand more about the issue, I am raising it again.. Hope thats OK.

I am trying to do a Multi-Colour print using a Printrbot and CURA and am making progress, but its making occasionally making a mess of the layer where the 'change' occurs..

I am using this plugin to 'pause' the print:

https://github.com/noopkat/CuraPlugins/blob/custom-tweaks/ChangeFilamentAtZ.py

But sometimes this happens at the point where I do the layer change.

Gren_Area.jpg

To see this, first I load a simple object:

http://3k8g8c3p564l1zjnb621d3aoii6.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FirstCube.stl_.zip

And for the sake of argument, set the layer height to 0.2m, and a shell/base thickness of 1mm.

This now gives me 50 layers.

Now use the plugin TWICE...

Set the first to

Z height = 3

Park = 9

Retract = 5

And the 2nd

Z = 4

Park = 8

Retract = 5

And then look at Layer 15... (3mm).. You see this extra bit of green.. And you do not see anything at Layer 20 (4mm)..

The cause of the issue can be seen in the GCODE:

;LAYER:14

; Plugin: start ChangeFilamentAtZ

M83

G1 E-5.000000 F6000

; Plugin: start ChangeFilamentAtZ

M83

G1 E-5.000000 F6000

G1 X0.000000 Y0.000000 Z8.000000 F9000

M84 E

M226

G1 X0.000000 Y0.000000 F9000

G1 E0 F6000

G1 F9000

M82

; Plugin: end ChangeFilamentAtZ

G1 X0.000000 Y0.000000 Z9.000000 F9000

M84 E

M226

G1 X90.750000 Y90.750000 F9000

G1 E0 F6000

G1 F9000

M82

; Plugin: end ChangeFilamentAtZ

Its doing 2 starts and 2 ends in layer 15..

Sometimes can fix it by changing the parameters in the plugin until I can see both pauses in the layers.. And I don't get the extra green.. But its a bit hit and miss.

Today I am only seeing this when I use the plugin TWICE.. But I am sure I saw the same behavour yesturday when using it once..

Is this a bug in CURA? Or the Plugin? Where do I go to debug this?

Does anyone have any idea whats happening and why??

Jon

Is this a bug in CURA? Or the Plugin? Where do I go to debug this?

Most likely a bug in the plugin. (But it could also be that the viewer is not handling M82/M83 correctly.

What it is showing is a move with loads of extrusion. It's just a normal green line, but then super width compared to normal, meaning Cura is seeing a lot of extrusion during that move.

Most likely a bug in the plugin. (But it could also be that the viewer is not handling M82/M83 correctly.

What it is showing is a move with loads of extrusion. It's just a normal green line, but then super width compared to normal, meaning Cura is seeing a lot of extrusion during that move.

The fact that the 2 'pauses' are on the same layer inside each other in the GCODE I guess means that its not a GUI/Viewer issue..

I guess i will just have to work around it.

Jon