Nozzle temperature range while printing: +/- 9..10 degree celsius

klausz

Posted · Nozzle temperature range while printing: +/- 9..10 degree celsius

When watching the temperature of the nozzle it was set to 234 degree celsius. While printing, during the normal print speed (35..50mm/s, 0.4mm nozzle), the temperature went down to 224 and up to 244 degree celsius. Especially on very sensitive materials it could help when this temperature is much more stable. Not 20 maybe 5 to 10 degrees Celsius/Kelvin in total.

Any idea or suggestion ? Low print speed will not help as there is the need for some materials to print a minimum quantity per second.

Same here.

Especially on little spiralized prints I get a really beautiful periodic wavy wall through this. Would be a neat feature for a plug-in (as Im writing this... sounds in fact pretty cool)

But as you said, for temp- sensitive materials such as flex pla this is an extrusion killer, as I painfully had to discover.

Usually the temp fluctuation should be in a range of +/- 2°, as I read somewhere.

As far as I found out until now, there are 2 possible reasons for this:

1. Hardware.

Bad feedback between temp sensor and heating element right at the nozzle. Possible solution is a hint from gluetolf in a similar thread http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6517-um2-temperature-vary/.

That links to a http://www.3drucken.ch/2014/07/ultimaker-2-back-on-track.html which has an excellent step-by-step pictorial description where to put the http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0040GJ4I4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 (german link, should match for you). Important to endure at least 300°C.

Besides, you´ll possibly need some copper grease for the nozzle screw before screwing it back in. This works as release agent and prevents corrosion (also found that mentioned somewhere, can´t find the link).

If that fails, well, I stumbled upon a firmware problem discussed http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6613-firmware-surface-kwality-bug-1407-vs-1403/, thats

2. Software. Seems to address a problem in the latest official firmware, 14.09.

Don´t want to wake sleeping dogs though, as from post #37 on I was out, deep g-code-diving...

So I´ll try the hardware tinkering tomorrow and will report. The copper grease is still on the way, but I think that´s not that critical (someone with more experience should please stop me if I´m wrong).

Hope that helps, my fingers are crossed for you!

Viele Grüsse,

Chris

Thanks for the very good advise with conductive paste. So when there is underextrusion this could be a reason, too.

I ordered the XILENCE X5 High Performance Wärmeleitpaste

(on Ebay because they decided to pay taxes compared to Amazon).

-----

Lets close this thread and go ahead with the original one (sorry I checked, but did not find it when I started this one).

-> http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6517-um2-temperature-vary/

@Chris, nochmals Dankeschön für die gute Recherche und Anleitung. Grüße, von Nähe Bodensee.

Finally got it, and the result is quite impressive:

Ehm... At the moment you´ll have to believe me, as I´m not able to upload images.

Something with the email validation went wrong.

Will post pics as soon as this is solved.

And yes, I will post in the other thread.

I did a little more testing and thinking, this issue is probably worth a closer look.