Support structure issues

winberg

Posted · Support structure issues

I am having troubles getting Cura to generate support structures on some small overhangs near the buildplate.

Its almost a bit random, on the testpieces on the left of the pictures, I was testing if the height from buildplate had any infuence, so the objects have different heights on the overhangs, as you can see two of the objects are missing support completely.

(the pictures show different slice heights)

-Tom

missing support B

missing support A

Hi,

It's hard to tell from the pictures what you're talking about...

You can play with the support settings and check how that goes. Maybe try the lines supports from Cura (which version are you using by the way?)

If the gap between the plate and the object that needs to be supported is very small, you might need to design it in your CAD software

I am using Cura 14.09 - the problem is that Cura is not making support structures where it needs to.

I have tried all kinds of settings. As far as I see, this is an issue with the software..

On the big object, I think its right over 2mm, on the smaller there is a range from 2-5 mm I think.

But I have tried on some other objects too, and get the same result, with missing support structure where it should have generated.

I will prepare some more examples in i minute.

Here is another example on failure when generating support structure

supprtstruct 3

Clearly there should have been som support under the cylinders floating above the platform.

I am having the same issue.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8272-support-issue-with1411-rc7/.

Sometimes support isn't attached at the base to anything. Sometimes it doesn't go up to the surface it should be supporting.