Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
drumrboy44

STL file and Cura rendering very different from printed result!

I'm having a rather frustrating issue with Cura that I can't figure out. I designed a replacement bottle screw cap in Autodesk Inventor 2013. Simple enough, but when I try to print it, Cura fills in the screw-thread area. If you look at the picture, both the Cura rendered model, as well as the originally Inventor model clearly show the bottle cap center portion is clearly shown to be hollow. However, as you can tell from the "layer" view, Cura is filling in that space for some reason when it tries to print. Unchecking "solid infill top" or setting fill density to zero does not help. I have used this same technique in the past without issue, but I just don't understand why it wont work now. Ideas?

Bottle Cap

Here is the STL file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe7ozpstriql6mc/Bottle%20Cap.stl?dl=0

Hi,

It looks like it prints an inner cylinder with thread inside ?

Have you tried playing with the fix horrible check boxes sometimes it makes a difference

Maybe check your STL in netfabb or in meshmixer maybe, a wild guess here: maybe flip normals (you can do that in meshmixer)