Cooling Fan Use

csimmons

Posted · Cooling Fan Use

I have had this printer for a couple months now. I recently decided to run some test prints to dial in some setting and noticed a very poor quality on some of the prints. As I watched on print I realized that the cooling fans were not turning on during the print as they had in the past. I checked the settings for fan start up played around so that it should turn on after the second layer has been laid, but still have not been able to get the fan to turn on unless I do it manually from the "Tune" menu on the ultimaker LED screen. Is there a setting I am missing that would cause the fans to never turn on during a print?

Posted · Cooling Fan Use

Well if you can get the fans to spin with the TUNE menu then I suspect Cura isn't turning on the fans. Look at the gcode file that cura produces in any text editor (for example on a PC you can use notepad). gcode files are human readable.

Use the editor's search feature to locate all fan commands M106. For example:

M106 S127 <-- Sets the fan to 50% and

M106 S255 <-- Sets the fan to 100%

My fan doesn't come on until around 30% which is M106 S76. Your fan may vary a bit and need 40%.

In Cura I set my "fan min" and "fan max" both to 100%. If you set the fan min to 0% I believe it won't turn on unless the layer time is less than the minimum layer time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies