Platform temperature when using different materials

kirash4

Posted · Platform temperature when using different materials

I have a design that is comprised of two pieces, a black ABS frame and an "insert" that's made with PLA. Basically the insert fits in the frame with edge clips that are printed on the frame. However, I'd like to just embed the piece in the frame while it's being printed, and with the PauseAtZ plugin, I can do just that.

The PLA pieces are already printed, so I'm now doing the frames and when it reaches a pre-set height, the printer will pause for me to drop the PLA pieces in before continuing again. However, I've run into an issue with heat. When I drop in the PLA inserts, because they are raised off of the platofrm (by 0.9mm) and because the platform is at a higher temperature, they get soft and start to sag under their own weight (though I don't know if the same will happen if the platform was at PLA temperatures to be honest.)

So I'm looking for suggestions here. At the point where the print pauses, the nozzle is only 2.6mm off of the platform. Does the platform still need to stay at the pre-set 90C for ABS, or can I drop it lower so the PLA doesn't get soft and deform? Or am I going to cause problems with the ABS that's stuck to the glass (with glue) starting to come off?

An alternate method would be to print a support frame to put down under the PLA part which I suppose would be easier. I'm just curious if I can work with the printer itself here.

Does the platform still need to stay at the pre-set 90C for ABS

Yes. Or at least very very likely. How big is the ABS part? You can certainly try 70C which is cool enough that the PLA shouldn't sag (barely cool enough). Or maybe 60C. But I usually print ABS at 110C.

But if your part is more than 100mm side to side it will almost certainly lift off the bed as you print higher layers.

Maybe you should include photos?

And why can't the insert parts be ABS? Or Nylon or some other material? Pictures please.

By the way - are you using fan? Consider using 40% fan by the time you pause. This will cool the ABS to a temperature a bit lower than 90C and may be enough for the PLA parts to not sag. Glass temp for PLA is around 55C. ABS around 100C.