Feeder seems to "tick" back every so often

Posted (edited) · Feeder seems to "tick" back every so often

I cant figure out why the feeder is doing this little thing where it takes back the filament and then continues on, happens every 15ish seconds or so. Really getting frustrated about it.

Prints seem to be unaffected however.

I understand that it is the extruder's attempt not to grind down the filament due to a lot of pressure. But how can I correct this pressure issue? I turned the screw on the top by the bowden tube all the way out so its not even inside the nut inside the feeder mechanism anymore and it still does it every so often.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Feeder seems to "tick" back every so often

Hi,

When you say tick, you mean that you hear a sound, and that the feeder skips a step?

If yes then one cause can be a partially clogged nozzle, (look for the atomic method to clean it). Or it could also mean that your print parameters are too demanding.

Do you have any underextrusion? (you seem to say it doesn't affect the print).

If the feeder pulls the filament every now and then, it's due to retraction and that is a normal behaviour.

Hi,

When you say tick, you mean that you hear a sound, and that the feeder skips a step?

If yes then one cause can be a partially clogged nozzle, (look for the atomic method to clean it). Or it could also mean that your print parameters are too demanding.

Do you have any underextrusion? (you seem to say it doesn't affect the print).

If the feeder pulls the filament every now and then, it's due to retraction and that is a normal behaviour.

Its not the retraction as that pulls the filament back, as it should.

This is like a tick that seems to move maybe .25 of a millimeter so it doesn't do much in terms of "retraction" it just seems to like "reset". I read that this is due to too much pressure on the filament? Do you think Robert's feeder update will help the issue?

Thanks!

I wanted to update this thread as I seem to have figured out what has going on. Well I am pretty sure.

The issue of the tick is only on the first layer.

Reason, I think, is because the bed is "too" close to the nozzle which greatly reduces the flow of the filament and therefore causes the feeder to tick so it does not grind down the filament since it is harder to push through the nozzle.

Yes the build plate to close can cause this behaviour.

As you mentionned because it's too close, the feeder will have a hard time pushing the requested filament quantity.

You can fine tune the bedlevel during the print of the skirt or the brim of your print to have it perfectly leveled.

It's not a bad thing to have the first layer really squished, it will increase the bed adhesion, but you can have some small grinding on the filament which could cause underextrusion on the following layers.

It's just a matter of finding the optimal bed position

Yes the build plate to close can cause this behaviour.

As you mentionned because it's too close, the feeder will have a hard time pushing the requested filament quantity.

You can fine tune the bedlevel during the print of the skirt or the brim of your print to have it perfectly leveled.

It's not a bad thing to have the first layer really squished, it will increase the bed adhesion, but you can have some small grinding on the filament which could cause underextrusion on the following layers.

It's just a matter of finding the optimal bed position

Awesome, I'm going to leave it as it is as the idea of having the filament squished into the plate sounds like a great idea, I think I got a great level.

Thanks for your continued support! Voted your previous post as the best answer! :D

• Like 1