As my topic states I am new to 3D printing, but I am not new to 3D CAD. I have been designing in Pro E and Solidworks for years. As a mechanical engineer I can't wait to order one of these puppies. It seems top me that the Ultimaker is the best for what I want to do, which I can't say right now. but bere I pull the trigger I thought that maybe I could get some insight to the following:
For a single pc model:
1. I design something in solidworks, what do I have to learn to make a 3D print?
2. I want to work with ABS and read about the need for a heated bed plate. Does the heat get controlled by an external source and is it controlled by the machine or by the operator?
3. If I want to build an assembly doe it have to be done in pcs and then assembled?
4. What software is needed, if any, to add suppot webing to a model?
5. Can I switch colors in the middle of a print by stopping/ pausing it and switching to continue?
6. Finally, although I'll think of more, if I wanted to scan say my hand then print it, what is the best way?
Any and all responses are welcome.