Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral
  1. The hex file in github is the latest version of the source in github, so you can just install that without compiling if you just want to try it out. It's been working great on my UM2 for the past couple months. It's a couple updates behind Daid's releases; I've been meaning to do a resync... one "risk" of this firmware is it's a "when I get the time" sorta thing. (I've also been holding off doing a resync so I could get some testing of my changes without brining in anything new.)
  2. The UM2 has a simple, streamlined look and I don't think an advanced control panel with lots of gizmos and blinky lights fits their aesthethic (more Evo than Wall-E). The nerd-fork display may overwhelm those who don't understand what those numbers mean. It may even invite people to tweak things they don't understand? It shouldn't be the default, but perhaps offered as an option for advanced users? It does make it easier to troubleshoot printing and UM customer service could use it when helping customers. Even without an advanced display panel, pulling in the nerd-fork's more informative use
  3. OK, thanks. I'll look into it more next time I have a moment. One issue I ran into with *some* LCD libraries is they are optimized for an 8 bit (ie: one byte) tall pixel height ( 5x7 font) and everything breaks if it's not 8 pixels tall. And they certainly had no provision for a variable width font, so I'm interested to see how well your stuff works and may port it into some other libraries. I also may change the numbers to be fixed width, as variable width numbers to make columns jump around.
  4. I think that's an interesting option. The small font looks readable -- how does it hold up at a distance of 1-2m? I want to keep everything clear and easy to understand at a glance, without my glasses on. I've tried playing with font sizes before, with mixed results. At the very least I might look at yours as a template for making a new font that's a bit smaller to gain an extra row. It looks like you can mix it with larger fonts as well? That would be nice so we could keep the most important information larger / more visible and shrink the less important stuff. What I've done in the
  5. Oh, I should add that if you do try this firmware, be sure to set your materials to defaults when you first run it -- the stored materials eeprom values between the official firmware and this firmware don't match. There is some sanity checking in there, but it's best to reset it (you won't see the additional "exotic" materials in the menu unless you reset to defaults as well). (likewise if you go from this firmware back to the official one)
  6. I've been running it the past month with no major issues. Curious to hear from anyone who tries it -- feedback is always welcome. :-P I can add current Z-height easily, if I can find a place to squeeze it in on that already cramped display area.
  7. Thanks. I'll try to catch it next time it happens and forward the STL. As it is, I have not seen it since my post. "gets chains of lines that refuse to form loops and so it just discards those and prints nothing" <-- sounds accurate. From what I remember about the issue, the areas that were affected were not thin walled but fat slices (in fact, cross sections with many perimeters and with infill). It wasn't just a hole in a wall of the model, but a whole block of multiple layers missing across the whole cross section. If there were multiple closed loops in a slice, not all slices wer
  8. I've come across this at least twice this week. I missed it the first time and printed the goofed up gcode. The second time I caught it before printing. Basically the model slices OK, but there will be a gap of a couple missing layers at a given height. There's nothing different about that part of the model (not the start or end of a feature, thin walls, etc.) So far it's happened about 2/3 up and it has been in the form of a thick gap (let's say 1mm) and then a smaller gap slightly above that (say 0.2mm) Moving or scaling the model, changing the slice thickness, wall thickness, or fix hor
  • Create New...