UltiController Kit

Posted (edited) · UltiController Kit

Hi there,

I just upgraded an UMO with the UltiController Kit. So now it should be a standalone UMO printer with an SD card.

1 : But the controler kit is not working propperly. The display works for a sec. than Turns blank (darker blue) and slightly flickers ... with no letters or text in sight. If I turn the power off and on again it repeats itself. Wath the YT links I posted to see it's behaviour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH7bZTpNWg4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Br2jKqGzE

I assembled the kit with this widely spread YT vid ...could not find any other instruction,  and with my skills that vid should be enough. It's incredibly easy mounting and connecting the thing. But I probably am missing something here?

2 : At first the UMO was connected with only USB to my MacBook, I seem to have updated firmware through Cura, see screenshot. That was before I connected it to an elektrical outlet with the newly bought Power Adapter. 5a330e2cc69f7_firmwareversie.thumb.png.27d4fbf5e8eb97e7646548e9f39392c0.png

3 : Also the SD card is not accessible through my finder menu on my MacBook, only through Cura it seems to be recognized. While the SD card from my UM2 at home is both accessible through Cura and through the finder window of my Apple device there.

Any helpful tips would be much appreciated

5a330e2cc69f7_firmwareversie.thumb.png.27d4fbf5e8eb97e7646548e9f39392c0.png

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · UltiController Kit

I suppose you're talking about an UM-Original, not a UM2?

In your video, the display fails after you started heating the extruder.

Does the display also fail if you don't start heating the extruder? (For example, just browse through some menus for some time, but don't start heating up)

Maybe the display fails when you push the button a little harder than necessary? (could be a slack joint)

When you disconnect the UltiController, can you print via USB connection without any problems?

When you installed the new (default) firmware from Cura, did you use the "Ultimaker Original" (not "Ultimaker Original +") machine profile in Cura?

Afaik, you don't need to change the firmware when you add an Ulticontroller to your UMO, because it's enabled in the default firmware anyways.

Edited by Guest

Posted · UltiController Kit

"I suppose you're talking about an UM-Original"

Yes it's about somebody else's UM original, one I am about to work with soon. At home I have an UM2 myself.

"In your video, the display fails after you started heating the extruder. Does the display also fail if you don't start heating the extruder? (For example, just browse through some menus for some time, but don't start heating up)"

It Also fails otherwise when not heating up, the first time it failed was when I was heating up. But later it also failed on other occasions

"Maybe the display fails when you push the button a little harder than necessary? (could be a slack joint)"

I don't think that matters or makes any difference, display just fades after a few sec. Most of the time right after I power the UMO, with the netadapter or through the USB, with or without touching the knob.

"When you disconnect the UltiController, can you print via USB connection without any problems?"

That is something I will have to try out ....

"When you installed the new (default) firmware from Cura, did you use the "Ultimaker Original" (not "Ultimaker Original +") machine profile in Cura? Afaik, you don't need to change the firmware when you add an Ulticontroller to your UMO, because it's enabled in the default firmware anyways"

That is what I understood as wel, but when I connected it to my MacBook, Cura suggested an update after I wanted to select the right printer the UMO instead of my own UM2. And I think (seeing the picture) I did install the correct update for an UMO. It says so in the config.box on the pic..

Thx for the tips I'm going to try out some more stuff now, have a closer look at the firmware version I updated and disconnect the kit and try. And look some more at when it starts to fail so I can be more specific. I'll keep this post updated as soon as possible.

Ok, that sounds like the Ulticontroller is actually faulty. If the printer can print fine via USB connection, then I suppose you contact Ultimaker support and ask for a replacement. Add a link to this topic in the ticket to speed things up a bit.

Thx @jonnybischof will do ...thursday or comming sunday I'll probably be working on it again, Maybe I'd better collect the printer thursday and try to repair it @home.

I'll keep it updated here ...

The printer has been successfully repaired @jonnybischof thx to the great service and helpfulness of @Ultimakersupport team and especially @LaylaSmid ... The defect was the flatcable of the new kit. How it got defected I am gonna keep to myself :-)