Reducing noise

Posted · Reducing noise

Hi guys,

My Ultimaker is in a sleeping room on the first floor now. It's next to the room where my little son is sleeping and not too far from my own sleeping room. I'm pretty confident with printing big things on the machine but the noise the machine makes keeps my wife and the little guy awake. That's obviously not what I want so I looked for ways to make the machine more quiet.

I came up with the idea to place it in an Ikea kitchen cabin with a door. I was suprised with the result as I was expecting it would work as a boombox but it really helps to reduce the noise.

What things might reduce the noise?

Posted · Reducing noise

its a good idea.

I have one ultimaker at home and the main colling fan from day one, sounds like a old loud diesel tractor. so the whole apartment nearlly shakes when the printer runs... :?

i was thinking of actually building a little encloure box with kinda backing foam on the inside of the walls, like a sound studio, to seal in the sound... but at the moment its just an idea.....

i think your solution is a good practical approach !

thanks.

Ian :D

Posted · Reducing noise

1) Add noise reduction feet or soft padding

2) Jam something (some cardboard for example) between the extruder motor and the back of the machine. The extruder assembly can rattle like crazy.

3) Replace the X/Y motor assemblies from wood to normal spacers (same type of round spacers found to hold up the electronics)

4) Deal with the god damn electronics fan :p

Posted · Reducing noise

My machine is also more silent at the extruder, because I have the "4 extruder plate" by Jelle. His design is not online, but this photo shows it:

http://www.thingiverse.com/image:148652

The blue plate on the back has a 6mm distance from the back of the machine, and I think it reduces the noise from the extruder, because my machine (even without jamming something between the extruder motor and the back of the machine) makes a lot less noise then stock machines.

Posted · Reducing noise

testing now for axis and extruder motor, will post a thing and results tomorrow.

7980680329_0323ebc250.jpg

Posted · Reducing noise

I've posted a thing (but marked it in progress) so that others that want can test. I've made the plate .2mm narrower than the original so that a rubber gromit can be used on the bolt as well.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30334

Posted · Reducing noise

Have you reduced the current of the motors already? That made the biggest noise difference for me. The defaults are a bit overpowered (probably to make them work even if you have quite a bit friction). Reduce the current until you lose steps, then increase it a little bit.

You can find info down on that page:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_build_guide

Posted · Reducing noise

Ya, I did and it also helped, if only to reduce the heat and wear. I think they were at 12 o'clock when I got it, maybe the standard setting from the factory. The thing I posted reduced/changed the drumming sound a bit. Not sure I would install them unless you the noise really bothers you and your looking for every little bit, or just like modding the UM. Motor mount screws need to be re-tighted a few times, but that was also the case with the original.

Posted · Reducing noise
    its a good idea.

I have one ultimaker at home and the main colling fan from day one, sounds like a old loud diesel tractor.

Mine used to do that too! I dismantled the fan and squirted a bit of the provided gease into the bearings. It has been almost silent ever since.

Posted · Reducing noise

fan3.jpg

I put some drops of oil there, seems to have worked too.