Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Swift4d

Help on starting

I want to start making 3d products never used a 3d printer before so dunno what is better i want it in good print with letters as i have watched some videos and the plastic hasnt been that good. I was wondering if you could help me find a good printer for a desktop next to my pc. Also i will want to make big prints but dont want to spend a lot on this printer maybe £1k and must be ready to use out of the box. dont mind if its dual.

Thanks Swift4D

"3d printing" makes people think it's as simple as hitting the "print" button for a 2d printer but it's not. It's more like owning a CNC milling machine. There's a lot to learn. So you might want to just order stuff on 3dhubs.com at first.

I recommend you use 3dhubs.com also to compare models of printers as they have rated hundreds of printers using thousands of reviewers.

The one feature I recommend is "open source". I didn't realize how important that is until after I got my printer. Having a printer where you violate the warranty if you modify it or having a printer where you are forced to buy the manufacturers filament is very bad thing.

"3d printing" makes people think it's as simple as hitting the "print" button for a 2d printer but it's not.  It's more like owning a CNC milling machine.  There's a lot to learn.  So you might want to just order stuff on 3dhubs.com at first.

I recommend you use 3dhubs.com also to compare models of printers as they have rated hundreds of printers using thousands of reviewers.

The one feature I recommend is "open source".  I didn't realize how important that is until after I got my printer.  Having a printer where you violate the warranty if you modify it or having a printer where you are forced to buy the manufacturers filament is very bad thing.

I was think of getting a XYZ Da Vinci 1.0 printer i dont know yet. I do know how to use all cad softwares.

thank for the reply

Dont get that. Please. Just dont. I had it 9months ago. Had to sell it almost for nothing. Xyzdavinci not only you need to hack it tonuse other brands abs/pla. Also it's horrible printing pla because the lack of fans. It prints a slow crappy abs. If you plan to hack it and mount a e3d head on an davinci then go for it and moddit. But don't buy that... Any other printer will work better.

• Like 1