Why does this print fail?

Danieljenzen

Posted · Why does this print fail?

This is a brand new ultimaker 2 im printing with. its my 2nd one.

So right out of the box after test print, it fails this.

First try, i came back from work after putting it on before i went to bed, there was a layer or 2 that showed underextrution, which ofcourse ruined the whole part. so i had to start over again.

This time when i wake up, the base wasnt even finished before the nozzle clogged and is flying in the air.

How is this possible?

Pictures below shows settings, i tried to print relatively slow, i have no idea what im doing wrong.

1.thumb.png.7fa7721af20e5fb0d129bffa5a786f3e.png

2.thumb.png.dbfc3163425d77d9b2a20271cc01cb1a.png

3.thumb.png.3dc947cc11ecb29cf6e7dc196cf41075.png

1.thumb.png.7fa7721af20e5fb0d129bffa5a786f3e.png

2.thumb.png.dbfc3163425d77d9b2a20271cc01cb1a.png

3.thumb.png.3dc947cc11ecb29cf6e7dc196cf41075.png

I am actually struggling to do proper atomic pulls atm, plastic wont extrude when i press filament down in the nozzle, and wont get a proper grip of whats deep down in the nozze.

i thought when printing with 0.2 layer, 30mms was a good speed? and 10-20 for 0.3 first layer.

anyway, the rest of the print was done with 30mms overall, i even increased to 214c because of feeder slipping and struggling with the first layer. I am really frustrated about this. Ive got 2 printers here and all of a sudden im having major nozzle problems.

I didnt say anything about my second printer before now, but this one struggles too sometimes to print slow and steady, the atomic pulls worked fine on this one. Now im printing 0.3 layer at 20mms, had to slow down to 60% speed, 215c, and the feeder is stepping here aswell...

for the New printer, i used the filament that came With the printer, silver pure PLA.

On my 5 weeks older printer With 600 hours on, ive used PLA, PLa/PHA from colorfabb, XT-polyester from colorfabb And least but probably the biggest issuer, woodfill.

Woodfill totally screwd me over many times. its like you have to be present while its prints all the time, very frustrating trying to make something in Wood that take 82 hours ect.

My older printer i can understand is abit reduced in the nozzle, but the New one? i dont understand. I have NOT used and will probably never use woodfill on my newer printer.

first print 0.2/0.8/0.8/30mms. 50mms infill speed. 214c. print stopped after 16 hours by myself.

What speed is good for bot layer? the standard is 0.3mm, but should i change this or just leave it be? im fine With printing 10mm bot layer, but it seemes i need to print bot layer slower than 99% of all others displaying their setting.. Regardless of my New or used printer.

Second attempt, i reduced infill speed to 30mms aswell, i saw some signs of underextrution on the infill walls.

nozzle total clog before finishing baseplate for the print.

Yes woodfill is hard to get rid off.... you might need to burn your head with some kind of flame to burn the residues. This means you'd need to dismantle the whole head of course.

You can get rid of burned woodfill but it takes many atomic pulls. It also helps to use a 0.4mm needle to clean from the nozzle tip.

Regarding the recent printer. Could it be that your bed is too close and that the feeder is skipping on the first layer? This could cause some filament grinding that would result in a clogged nozzle after a while

I usually leave the bottom layer at 0.3mm it shouldn't be an issue as it's printed slower than the rest of the print, regarding general speed settings you should be able to go higher but 30mm/s is a safe speed that should work with most settings

Posted (edited) · Why does this print fail?

If you want to keep using woodfill and don't want to do atomic pulls there's are cleaning filaments that works really nice. It isn't cheap bit works. And yes as you thought woodfill leaves a lot of stuff on the nozzle and you must do a propper clean before resuming with other filaments.

Edit. Oh I see it's a new nozzle. Well it might have leave small wood particles on the ptfe coupler. Even 1 particle can clog a nozzle. Woodfill fine works beter but still it's a pain. The only wood filament I had no problems with its coconut easyfil. Do some atomics and buy a metal brush to clean the nozzle outside. Also as the previus post recomends try different layers.

Edited by Guest

5a330fa97894c_20150722_1659261.thumb.jpg.f361a03af9ea4092344e321454162318.jpg

This is the nozzle of the new printer ive just printed the terminator head with, and failed 2 times.

I see a tiny bit of light, heat up the nozzle to 210-220, and nothing happens.... WHAT??? NO filament is going through the nozzle, how is this possible? its a brand new printer and i see light through the nozzle, i havent use ANY other than PLA on this, NO woodfill

5a330fa97894c_20150722_1659261.thumb.jpg.f361a03af9ea4092344e321454162318.jpg

Now this is great.

After 400 atomic pulls and pressing down filament and pulling up, the belt pulleys are now damaged and the prints im making looks ugly cause of the pulleys adjusting the nozzle up and down on fixed locations. Now this is a major problem.

I tried to fix this by moving the extruderhead along its full range of movement to see if it helps smoothing out the imperfections of the pulleys, but then the printer turn off and now i cant do anything, it just wont turn on.

I need expert help QUICK! please!