What do you print the most?

GenCreator

Posted · What do you print the most?

I'm working on a little research project and want to test the 3D Printing community...

Comment with what items you print the most using your 3D printer. Also, if you could print anything, what would it be?

Finally I am interested in whether or not you consider yourself a 3D designer?

Thanks!

Mostly stuff other people have made. Props, model making / railway stuff etc. At the moment I have been doing some prototype work for a secret design project. Sometimes I take already existing non 3d printable files and hack them up to become printable.

Also do I consider myself a 3d designer? Well I'm getting paid to do it freelance and at my full time day job, even if my freelance stuff is much more basic and my professional job is designing packaging foam in 3d, so nowhere near the beautiful organic or mechanical designs some people can do.

I print a lot of engineering parts for myself, sculptures / funny things for friends, replacement bits and bobs around the house for my wife.

I do a lot of 3D design myself, but that;s for the replacement parts and engineering parts - I'm no good (at all) at intricate artwork stuff.

I prefer parametric design of something with a purpose so I know where I'm going, I also find that a lot easier.

I've used my printer to make some parts for my robot project (full-sized R2-D2). There's been several times I have needed to make shims, various sized washers/spacers and mounting devices for Arduino UNO's inside my droid (electronics and bare aluminum produce expensive blue smoke!)

I haven't found the right CAD software I really like and usually Google Sketchup gets me buy. And of course, I've used items from Thingiverse for stuff already designed.

McMaster-Carr is offers many of their parts offerings in CAD files, which can even be printed! Great of prototyping with my droid