Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
joshh

How to replace the heater cartridge on my UM2

Hi all. My Ultimaker has jammed up plenty of times during its life. All of which were fixable with some work. This one however I will now need to replace my hot end as well as the wiring. I already have all the new parts I require but I am here today asking about what the best way to do this would be. Specifically how I should go about replacing the heater cartridge. The wires seem to be clamped down to the Arduino board, but when I tried to remove the board I found that I would have to take the side panel off that connects to the motor and I didn't want to risk messing something in there up so I haven't touch that. Not to mention the thousands of screws I would have to undo to get there. This jam is especially bad because it is Ultimaker ABS instead of PLA. I understand ABS isn't highly recommended for the Ultimaker but my application for the machine required a use of stronger filament. Never the less, I tried to melt the abs with a lighter but it only started to burn. I can't seem to get it to melt. That's why the head looks so burned...that's because it is. But now that I have the parts I am ready to make the swap. All I need now is the know how of how the change to heater wires.

Any and all input is appreciated :)

Ultimaker2ABS1.thumb.jpg.e432299d8eb0a653d8ef6fd8f5761d87.jpg

Ultimaker2ABS.thumb.jpg.0896a44393fb93313f1723d09343464a.jpg

Ultimaker2ABS2.thumb.jpg.c942a0e4d323518c042a4a556b8071fa.jpg

- Josh

Ultimaker2ABS1.thumb.jpg.e432299d8eb0a653d8ef6fd8f5761d87.jpg

Ultimaker2ABS.thumb.jpg.0896a44393fb93313f1723d09343464a.jpg

Ultimaker2ABS2.thumb.jpg.c942a0e4d323518c042a4a556b8071fa.jpg

Edited by Guest