Cura Ui design

jeanpaul.maley

Posted · Cura Ui design

Here. Or on the github issue tracker. But both work. I'm very open to ideas, because I'm nowhere near a UI designer.

As for, "what's in the work". I've already changed the visuals for the 3D view, it looks less 80's now, with fresh colors, no longer white on black.

I'm also working on having a rotation ring, and move/scale/flip/rotate arrows around the model to orientate it. As the current orientation features pretty much suck.

Posted · Cura Ui design

Here is AutoCad's 3D Rotate Ring. Just pick a point, move your mouse over which direction you want to rotate, type in a degree and it's done. Very easy too use.....I understaqnd your using 3D Studio Max...could be the exact same thing, not sure....just a thought on the rotation bit.......

Re-3d_Ring.jpg

Posted · Cura Ui design

Well the main thing i'd like to see changed is grouping op print settings. In cura they are spead out. For instance the dwindle setting is in verry much hidden and separate from the other settings. Should also be in a profile. I verry much like the slicer grouping of settings and the ability to set various speeds an infill patterns and perimeters.

Basically i would say everything that influences the g-code output should be in the same section. Everything that infuences the display also, etc. Of course without overwhelming users (see repG skeinforge dialog) with to much options but also providing advanced features (as much as can be).

Posted · Cura Ui design

One thing that I think is missing are macro keys to different functions especially within the print menu. So for example the ability to move the nozzle around on the keyboard would be useful, as well as possibly keys that can be made to run a certain set of g-codes on demand.

Here is AutoCad's 3D Rotate Ring. Just pick a point, move your mouse over which direction you want to rotate, type in a degree and it's done. Very easy too use.....I understaqnd your using 3D Studio Max...could be the exact same thing, not sure....just a thought on the rotation bit.......

I think this style of indication would be good. The precise input should probably be an absolute angle to avoid any ambiguity.

I also do agree that Cura doesn't make good use of the screen when it comes to the settings and information.

For the print screen for example, there should be only one panel that tells us about the status of the print and allows access to during-print tweaks, then another panel that has everything else to do with manual setup. The console is also very squished and doesn't appear to auto-scroll, which makes its presence somewhat redundant.

Posted · Cura Ui design

[Ximg]http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb460/Magmotor/Re-3d_Ring.jpg[/img]

Yep, looks a bit like I'm working on. But it won't make it in the next release, as it is quite some work, and I want do fix some other things first.

Dwindle will be removed in the next version. I always got worse prints with it enabled. It does string a bit less, but it makes the print itself worse.

Setting "grouping" is done on priority. Stuff that you change the most is the easiest to access. Not sure if that's always done right right now, but that was the idea.

The printing interface is getting some major overhauls. It still a bit messy, but it's the main thing I'm working on right now. I've re-done all the GCode sending code, and the auto-detection code. Which should provide a stabler interface. I'm also adding a LOT more debug logging so error cases are easier to track.

Posted · Cura Ui design

Cool mate looking forward to it. If there is a need for some testing i'll be available for that. On the point of dwindle: Since the printing process is somewhat complex wouldn't it be good not to remove settings so that people who want to use these options can. Also, the ability to set different speeds for infill and perimeters would be nice.

Posted · Cura Ui design

Place for suggestions? Ok (;

- While printing display not only a Progressbar. % Infos. Timer etc. would be nice.

Posted · Cura Ui design
    Place for suggestions? Ok (;

- While printing display not only a Progressbar. % Infos. Timer etc. would be nice.

Already in the next version =)