Printhead cracked on delivery of new UM2

sg7019

Posted · Printhead cracked on delivery of new UM2

Hi,

After some initial feeder problems I've been able to make some prints with my UM2. While watching my first print (MiniCalTest) I noticed a crack in the top layer of the printhead. I don't know if this is due to over tightening during manufacture. It may be mostly cosmetic, the assembly seems rigid and several prints have gone through OK but this is not what I expect from a new printer.

I see some other posts about printhead cracks, they seem to occur over time, is it common for a UM2 to be delivered like this? And what if any impact this is likely to have.

I can't see the crack getting any better so I expect the printhead casing will need to be replaced, just debating whether I return the printer or just acknowledge I will have to repair it at some point in the future if it gets worse. I've already had to work on the feeder but this looks to be a much bigger job.

PrintheadCrack.thumb.jpg.c79800e474f90861d467a707c19d545d.jpg

PrintheadCrack.thumb.jpg.c79800e474f90861d467a707c19d545d.jpg

You can live with the crack if you want but It's not that hard to change but you will need to take quite a bit apart.

Remove bowden tube

cut heat shrink off braided slieve

Unplug the fans

Remove fan shroud and unscrew nozzle.

Then you can replace the cracked part.

Thanks for the info, in the absence of any instructions I was guessing at a completely different approach of disconnecting the wiring loom and sliding the top of the printhead off back down the cable loom. I hadn't put much thought into it yet ;)