Just Finished Building My UMO+ (Very excited!) -- But, can't get the fan to turn on...

coolal

Posted · Just Finished Building My UMO+ (Very excited!) -- But, can't get the fan to turn on...

Hey guys! Just finished building my new UMO+ (after a few headaches that the forum was kind, and patient, enough to help resolve).

At first startup, I had two dark lines across the Ulticontroller. Turns out the UMO+ white board was actually flashed for the UM2. That was easy enough to solve. Everything else, besides the fan, started to operate fine after that.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out what's going on with the fan. I checked to make sure it was plugged into "Fan PWM". The cable is not cut, shorted, or in any way damaged. I also tried to force the fan on via the "Tune" menu on the Ulticontroller.

I've attached a shot of the first print without using the fan. This is using Ultimaker silver PLA with a gluestick. Cura was set for 210 nozzle / 70 bed / support grid touching the bed / and no raft or brim. Everything else was whatever Cura defaulted to.

20150910_173759.thumb.jpg.ddc5fa6687752625f7b3a796c9b06e12.jpg

For a first print, I'm rather impressed with it.

So, any other ways I can test what's going on with the fan? Probably DOA?

In the meantime, any ways to optimize printing PLA without a fan? It looks like the test print was almost successful.

Thanks again,

Alex

20150910_173759.thumb.jpg.ddc5fa6687752625f7b3a796c9b06e12.jpg

Posted · Just Finished Building My UMO+ (Very excited!) -- But, can't get the fan to turn on...

If you have a 9 volt battery and apply power to the fan plug (hopefully you have some thin wire to attach to each)....does it spin?

If you have a 9 volt battery and apply power to the fan plug (hopefully you have some thin wire to attach to each)....does it spin?

Thanks for the idea. I just hooked the fan up to a DC regulated bench supply. I put 9 volts through it, but there wasn't any current flow.

Any test I can do with a multimeter to diagnose the fan's condition?

Fan didn't spin?

Nope, nothing. But, it spins freely when i try with my finger. I didn't want to push the volts / amps and get magic smoke. But, definitely no movement at 9V.

If you haven't already, put in a support ticket or I can tag @SandervG so he is aware of your issue

• Like 1

Just became aware!

What I would recommend if you have a multimeter to check if the electronics are fine.

If that is the case, your fans are connected but do not turn on your fan is probably dead.

We'll send you a new fan, that won't be a problem if it turns out it is faulty.

Just became aware!

What I would recommend if you have a multimeter to check if the electronics are fine.

If that is the case, your fans are connected but do not turn on your fan is probably dead.

We'll send you a new fan, that won't be a problem if it turns out it is faulty.

Hi @SandervG,

Just tested the fan with a multimeter and there was no continuity between the positive and negative leads. As I understand, the fan should act as a resistor when tested and show continuity and a resistance reading.

I just sent an email to FBRC8 (I hope this was the correct contact for US claims) and started ticket # 3628.

My only concern is related to the logistics of replacing the fan. The header connector on the fan was huge and a real pain to install. The directions indicated it would route through the hot end after the thermocouple and nozzle heater cables were in, but it was the opposite. So, in order to remove it, i'm basically on the verge of disassembling the hot end and undoing all the cables from the board to the hot end. All for a fan.

What I'd much rather do is clip the fan cable near the hot end and attach the new fan with solder / heatshrink. That way I don't have to touch a thing besides unscrewing the fan.

Would a clipped fan cable invalidate a warranty claim?

Thanks,

Alex

Just an update: FBRC8 had a replacement fan in the mail within an hour of emailing them. I'll have it in hand on Monday. I couldn't ask for better service than that!

• Like 2

Would a clipped fan cable invalidate a warranty claim?

Thanks,

Alex

Nope. We are not that picky, this is just a minor, relatively harmless workaround so that is fine. We can't afford to be, being open source and at the time scare everyone from opening up their machine. We do have guidelines obviously, but I like to think they are pretty reasonable.

Depending on what you are planning to do it may be of influence of your warranty but this is fine :) Good luck with your fan!